Your customs and specs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lewibassist, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Im thinking about a custom and im having trouble with making the right choice of woods.Show your customs and say what woods you used for your tops, body ,neck etc...
  2. mine isn't built yet but I'm getting ready to start building it...

the lowdown...

single cutaway 6 string,19mm spacing (i have big hands) wilkinson bridge,shaller tuners,Bart J+J config or bart J+MM config,i want to find a Fodera or sadowsky pre to put in it,brass nut,abalone quarter moon inlays
    body- curly maple
    top-burl walnut with purpleheart accents
    neck- neckthru maple (or wenge haven't decided yet) with purple heart runners up the back
    fretboard- ebony
  3. I have a 7 string fretless Sei bass

Buckeye burl over swamp ash body with a flame maple neck with wenge stringers.

I have a sycamore contrast veneer [dyed black] between the body and facing and also between the through neck and the body. I also have black sycamore inlayed as very discreet fretmarkers.

For the electronics I have bart pickups as well as piezo's in the individual ABM bridge peices. I have a 3 band 18v Scheck pre for the Barts and a John East 2 band for the Piezo's. The jack socket is made by Pete Stevens of Wal and is a standard jack as well as a balanced DI socket.

Lastly I have blue LEDs on the side and a nice inlay on the face of the fretboard. In the back I have had a peice of 3000 year old bog oak from the fens of East Anglia in England.

I think thats all!!
  4. i love the igtheus (sp?) inlay!!!
  5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    4 string fretted, crotch black walnut on the top, ash body, walnut back, and purple heart inbetween both walnut pieces and the ash making a 5 piece body. 3 piece neck of maple/mahogany/maple, ebony fretboard, matching topwood on the headstock with a rounded bead edge. Bartolini passive pickups, schaller bridge (2 inch spacing instead of 2 1/4), Gotoh tuners, Hipshot de-tuner on the E. Oh, and the neck is a 16th of an inch narrower at the nut than a Jazz, but I don't remember what the measurement is.
  6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i can give you a sound clip when my custom comes.

it's a P-bass with mahogany body,goncalo alves neck and fretless ebony fingerboard, Bartolini 8S pup, Bartolini NTBT 2band eq, schaller tuners and bridge. i cant wait :hyper:
  7. Custom Alembic with maple body, maple 3-piece neck (neck-through construction) and flame walnut top.
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Don't shortchange yourself. Alembic neck through models come standard with at minimum a 5-piece neck. I've seen as many as 13-pieces. Don't know what that gets ya other than purdy pinstripin', but hey, that's why they're "custom".

9. learning-to-walk

Thanks, the Icthus fish is abalone and was beautifully inlaid by Martin Petersen who built the Sei. He in fact suggested the fish sign to me, and is a subtle way of expressing my faith without shouting about it. It is a good talking point and quite often a way in to share what I believe.

10. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Multiple piece necks are stronger and more stable than 1 piece necks. Like plywood....
  11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here are the specs on my newest custom:

Conklin 8 String bass (Low F# to high F)
    Sidewinder body style
    Bolt-on neck
    Hollowbody construction 3"
    34" scale
    Gold Hardware with Q-Parts abalone pearl capped knobs
    Maple / Bubinga Neck
    Dragonwood body
    Deep, Deep, DEEP Wine red sparkle finish
    Individual string saddles
    Conklin Signature Pups
    24 frets
    Purple heart bound maple fretboard
    Hipshot Ultralite tuners
    Carved Top
    Demeter 3 band preamp

I chose dragonwood for it's lightness and lowend response. The maple / bubinga laminate neck is extremely stable. I also chose this for time reasons. My last 8 string had the same type neck and the builder still had enough of the blank left for this bass. Also, this combination coupled with the maple fretboard will give a nice treble snap to compliment the dragonwood. I also thought the maple neck would would look good with the finish.

A pic can be found HERE. Just scroll about half way down. :)
  12. Well, there's always an exception to the rule, certainly with Alembic, but as a fellow Alembician I guess you already knew that... ;)

My 1991 EvH Signature has a 3-piece maple neck without neck laminates / pinstripes. For a 'mwah' picture of the back check the Alembic Club and for MUCH better pictures also check the Alembic Club (Showcase section). It's the very clean and understated appearance (and a whole lot more!) I really love about this instrument!
  13. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

I know that multi lam necks are stronger and more stable. All of my basses range from 5 to 7 lams. My comment was more along the lines of diminishing returns. How much stronger is 13 lams than 7 lams? Do you really get the full benefit of the incremental laminations? At some point, you're just adding pinstripes.

14. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Oh yeah, I've seen that one a few times on the Club. Really nice EVH. I guess I assumed it had five laminates, but after taking another look at it, it's pretty darn obvious, eh?

15. Specs on my custom-built Curbow Jazz bass:
    Swamp ash body, birdseye maple top with some subtle quilt, rockwood neck and fretboard, Lindy Fralin pickups, passive V/V/T setup.

16. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Spes on my custom Curbow 6-string:

--Semi-hollow carved-top zebrawood/mahogany body in new single-cutaway shape.

--Rockwood neck with tilt-back headstock and zebrawood overlay

--Bartolini quad-coil pickups and 3-band EQ, plus RMC piezo pickups and Polydrive preamp

No picks yet, since it's not quite done.

17. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Specs and links on the two that I personally custom ordered....

Alembic Mark King / Series II: (ordered / rec'd in 2000)
    5 string, 34" scale neck through
    large point body style, 5 piece laminated
    mahogany core, maple accent laminates, cocobolo top & back
    continuous wood backplates
    5 piece maple / purpleheart neck
    ebony fretboard
    brass adjustable nut (standard)
    gold mother of pearl inlays
    amber side LEDs
    Series II electronics (separate vol, low pass filter, & continuous Q control for each p/u, plus master volume & p/u selector)
    gold plated Gotoh tuners

Marchlewski 5 string: (ordered Dec 2003, rec'd Apr 2004)
    5 string 34" scale neck through
    Wolfehollow designed body, 5 piece laminated
    maple core, amboyna burl top and back
    continuous wood backplate
    5 piece maple / bloodwood neck
    wide flat profile, 3/8" spacing @ nut, 3/4" at bridge
    birdseye maple fretboard
    mandolin frets
    adjustable nut
    Bartolini pickups
    Bartolini 18v NS2TMB circuit w/ 3 band EQ, 3 position mid switch
    gold plated Gotoh tuners
    gold plated ABM mono rail bridge
    amboyna & maple knobs
    amboyna pick up covers
    birdseye maple pickguard

18. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    might as well show it again. but i started a whole custom thread, search for it and youll see plenty.

kubicki, flame honduras mahogany top, flame maple stripes, ebony centre and board.
  19. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    heres the pic i forgot
  20. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Here are mine...

#1 Single cut fretless Stambaugh

Burl Maple top
    Ash Body
    Snakewood fretless ebony binding
    Bart single and triple coil pickups
    Yamaha Piezo Bridge
    Bart preamp

#2 Double cut fretted Stambaugh

Macassar Ebony top with purpleheart and birdseye "stripe"
    Mahagony body
    Macassar Ebony fretted with purpleheart binding
    Aero double coils with covers
    Aguilar Obp-3 preamp

#3 Double cut fretless Marchlewski

Birdseye top and back with bloodwood "stripes"
    Burled redwood pickguard
    Mahogony body
    Birdseye fretless with mahogony stripes
    Aero double coils with matching covers
    Bart preamp with tons of switches

#4 in progress (6 string baritone bass) Marchlewski

Claro Walnut top and back
    Spanish cedar body
    Koa fretted with koa binding
    Nordstrand single coils with koa covers
    Ghost midi piezo system

Whew... Id hate to have to type up JT's collection... :)