Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

your daily ohms,wattage and whatnot quiz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Aug 25, 2004.

1. the amp i will be using is a peavey deltabass, which is 4 ohms, 200 watts. my cab is an ashdown mini 10T, which is 8 ohm and 200W cont. 400W programmed. i am not sure what those 2 wattages mean, but anyways, should i worry about keeping the volume down with the amp? or can i go up pretty high? i mean, i don't think i am going to go balls out lud, but can i turn it up pretty good?

i've got a gig tonight, but i don't really feel up to loading up my peavey 1810, which i believe weighs upwards 2500 lbs.

Thanks,
    Charlie

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Your amp likely puts out around 120 watts into an 8 ohm load. So, you're going to be underpowering the cab, if anything. As long as things sound clean, no worries.

3. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Confirmed. You will be on the lower powered side using an 8 ohm cab with the Deltabass. Sometimes, too low is more of a problem than too high. But in this case, you should be okay. Like Passinwind said, as long as it sounds clean, you are doing good.

Consider a 4 ohm cab if you want to be able to get loud(er). Then again, loud is subjective so maybe your Ashdown cab is enough? And plus, unless that Deltabass is an all tube amp (does Peavey even make an all tube bass amp anymore?), 200 watts is highly unlikely to get "loud" in most band situations...of course, the quieter genres are excluded. No matter what though, better to go over your cabs powerhandling for sureness of clean sound and headroom. If I've ever said anything that was more true (IMO, at least), having to turn down is infinitely better than having to turn up! :D :bassist:

-T

4. Continuous power is just that. If you put 200 watts into the speaker with a sine wave that's all it can handle. Think of playing a note that sustains forever at the same level.

Music though, is made up of on's and off's, and louds and softs. So you're not putting full power to it all the time. They call it program power. It really means they just double the continuous wattage (some manufacturers triple it) and then count the dollars as they sell more product.

(kinda cynical huh?)

5. thanks guys,
    i am more concerned about not blowing out the ashdown speakers (as i just got the cab), and i don't have to worry about that stupid clip light. as long as nothing is damaging the speakers, i am fine...of course its probably at the risk of blowing out the amp...D'oh....anyways, 200 watts is pretty good, considering i am not exactly playing royal albert hall, i am just going to a jam session at a local bar :D . last time i was able to keep up with a little ampeg 1x10 because the guitar player couldn't turn up his fender stage 160 without it sounding like crap!
    like i said before, i have an 1810, which is really heavy, and i don't like having to cart it around.

Thanks,
    Charlie

6. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just played in Madison, Wisconsin a few months ago...cool place! And literally too...it was cold!!!

-T

7. well, i ended up playing the house rig, but the coolest thing about last night was that there were a bunch of pictures of the people who played at the bar, and i saw michael manring's picture!

who knew he played Clarks's place in Steven's Point?