Your definition of music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Spam2mapS, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I've seen this discussed in different threads before, but I've never actually seen a thread on this topic. I'm in a music theory class, and I have an assignment to get as many different definitions of music as I can. I don't mean to start a flame war with this, I'm just wondering about your opinion on what music is. Thanks!
  2. Something I can have fun with.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Music: It's not as clumsy and random as a blaster, an elegant weapon for a more, civilized age.

ancient religions and hokey weapons are no match for some good music at your side.
  4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sounds that I can get inspiration on feelings from.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    music is everything around us. the clouds, the sun and the fire.

music is the emotional rollercoster that some face. music is the shallow water that we all grace....

what's wrong with me!?!

i'll shut up now..:D

i really don't have an answer...sorry ;)
  6. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
  7. Errr, sound organized by time. I am pretty sure that is the definition.
  8. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Thats true as well, anything can be made into music, geometrical shapes can be formatted into diatonic ratios. I have been reading up on the math behind it and its actually very interesting how shapes can be made into diatonic ratios (crop circle music). Anywho, don't want to hi-jack the thread, if anyone is interested in that PM me.
  9. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    A language of emotion, expressed in tones and tempos.
  10. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Well if it helps to illuminate the boundary, according to a roommate of mine back in college, Zappa's Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch is not music.

I tended to disagree with that position, however.
  11. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The sound of an accordian landing on a banjo in the back of a dumpster.
  12. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Of or inspired by the (or a) muse.

Time + Tone + Human(s) = Music

One tricky thing I've been working with is that music should not be a noun, because it's not a thing. Music is always played/experienced in/over/through time, so it should be a verb, like musicing.
  13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Anything that can strike an emotion, or feeling within. Doesn't matter what genere, or musical technicality, it just has to hit the right sounds to move the emotion.
  14. I always liked John Cage's definition:

"Music is organized sound and silence."

Short, sweet, to the point, and it covers all the bases.
  15. Life :D

But all the above definitions are good.

Music and Art are very all deals with expression,IMO.
  16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's beautiful. I personally think "emotion" should be mentioned explicitly, but perhaps that's unnecessary for some listeners.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

18. An assortment of sounds/noises consciously created (by human beings) with the aim of eliciting (and/or expressing) emotion
  19. Fuzzbass,

The beauty of Cage's definition is that it is an objective statement.

If you add emotion to the mix, then it starts to become subjective due to the varying amounts of feeling associated with different music.

I do agree with you however in that I think that emotion and music are related. In fact, a study done within the last 6 months pointed to music making portions of the brain more active in the listener. And those portions were also the areas that are known to control emotion.

Or, to quote a long dead poet/composer:

"He who does not write from the heart, falsifies his music and his art."