1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your "desert island" bass under $1000.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aidan_r, Jul 28, 2007.

1. aidan_r

aidan_r

Jun 22, 2006
    Vancouver, Canada
    Here's the scenario, better yet this is true to my application. I'm going to be travelling overseas indefinately and have roughly around $1000 (would prefer to stay under around 6-750) to take one bass with me.

I'm personally leaning towards a stingray or L2000, but forget me. What's your desert island bass in this price range and why? Convince me why I should choose your bass of choice!

May I note that in my purposes I have to take something that's going to track in the studio well and be my main bass for who knows how long, and I'm travelling in to an area of the world where gear isn't cheap, so taking advantage of US/Canadian pricing is advantageous.

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    MTD Z5 or Lakland 55-02,and maybe a Roscoe Beck, all used. I'd be happy with any of 'em.

3. what about a lakland 55-01 new, or if you keep your eyes out, you can get a 55-02 used.....

also check out the Cort GB-75 or A5.... the difference between the 2 is pereference. the A5 has two soapbar type bart mk-1's, and the GB has a j/mm config with mighty mite's...

4. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Pick an Ibanez, any Ibanez... :D

5. P/J of some sort.

6. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    L2000 by far IMO. Being well known as the swiss army knife of basses, it would be the obvious survival tool to have on a desert island. You could hunt with it, use it to build a shelter, use it to build a fire, and possibly even a boat. And if you happen to find an amp with batteries in a buried treasure chest or something you could even play music with it!

L2K FTW! Love mine ;)

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I love lakland skylines, have owned a 44-01 and have a 55-01 Deluxe (not for sale). I have traveled with the 55-01 a fair amount in the US, even to Hawaii.

However, I wonder if you are going to be in places where you can get the extra extra long strings to fit it's 35 inch scale and through-body stringing. Obviously, you will take spares, and you could have "supplies" sent. But to me it is an issue with the 55-01. If I can't do mail order and I'm not near a lakland dealer, getting strings is tough.

8. FenderBinder

FenderBinder

Mar 24, 2007
    Atlanta
    warwick corvette

9. I think the L2000 would be a great choice actually.

10. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Destroyobot

Sep 7, 2006
    Manitoba, Canada
    + 1

11. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Oh yeah, forgot to mention the passive/active switch on the L2K. See? There's so many reasons I can't even think of them all at one time.

12. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    I'll throw my lot in with the L2000.

Simple, reliable, and sounds great to boot!

13. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Used MusicMan or Fender Geddy.

Both are great basses and in your price range. :)

14. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Jag for it's flexibility over my beloved Geddy. Dang, that's like trying to choose which kid to save!

15. Stingray :)

16. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Blazer :]

17. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    fender jazz 60s style alder/rosewood

18. Fender MIJ 70's Jazz with a few mods.

19. funkytranki

funkytranki

Apr 14, 2007
    A late 80's warwick streamer with EMG.
    Or a used fender jazz with custom shop pups.

Funkytranky

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Minus Roscoe Beck

Plus Marcus Miller or

A used Stingray or Bongo

Peace,

James