1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your DI's Not Working

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rapidfirerob, Aug 19, 2012.

1. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Played a great gig last night with my Allman Brothers tribute band, The Allman Step Brothers. Two bands opened for us. Had a good sound check, went to eat and listened to the other two bands. Part way through our set, our singer walked to my amp and turned up the master on my GB Shuttle 6.0 and said my DI wasn't working. I told him later to just tell me to turn up rather than crank the amp. Anyway, I adjusted my amp, played the rest of the set. Breaking down my equipment, something was conspicuously absent from the back of my amp, the DI cable. The sound man forgot to plug it into my amp after the prior band. He was just a might embarrassed afterwards. I will be sure and not let this happen again in the future. Everyone makes mistakes, not a big issue, just unfortunate.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! I hate it when soundmen touch my gear, and I especially hate it when they forget to plug in something and then blame it on you. OTOH, if you're like me, you probably did something goofed up and blamed it on the soundman once or twice in your life, so now you're even ;)

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Look at the pro's, you had a soundman who actually tried running you through to FOH and monitor mixes instead of just letting your amp buck it.

4. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    :confused:

5. You mean would have?

And id slap that singers hand

6. timbros

timbros

Jan 2, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I bring my own DI and ask the sound man for the line. If the sound man doesn't plug it into the snake, I'm SOL but I always know the line is in the DI as well as the signal from my guitar or amp.

Take Care,
    Timbros.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +1

Most sound engineers are more than happy to plug that DI in and not have to adjust the mix to my stage volume. I even work with a sound engineer who'd love it if I didn't bring an amp to a gig.

Now asking to mic the cabinet is often some sort of esoteric voodoo for some sound engineers. I guess setting a gate on the mic for a bass cab is pretty hardcore stuff. :rollno:

8. rapidfirerob

I explained to the singer to just ask me to turn up next time, and I will be checking for a cable before I play from now on. The sound guy was barely old enough to be in the club.
    One of the guitarists uploaded audio from the gig, so I'll see how I fit into the mix over the evening.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I always check it myself to make sure I'm plugged in, including the snake.

Hey, I just worked up Jessica. Ya'll doin' that one?

10. rapidfirerob

We have two new guitarists and will be working it back in for sure. Check our site for some songs from last year: http://allmanstepbrothers.com/
    I'll be checking for the DI cable from now on!