Your effects

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, Apr 22, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I've been to your web site and I've read about your equipment what i'm wondering is what effects you use the most not the units them selfs but the effects such as chorus and delays and what sort of settings you use like how long your echos are or delays, how distorted your tone is for different purposes.

Also could you recomend a good chain of effects for solo bass stuff (such as a chorus with a very fast deep tone into a light overdrive with a 200ms delay or something like that)

Thanx very much
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Tayste,

the most heavily used Effect in my system (aside, I guess from the looping itself...) is reverb - my main reverb sound has the 'mix' on 22%, the 'size' on 34.5m, the diffusion at 90%, pre-delay at 148ms, decay at 2.03secs... but I have a couple of other reverb settings, including a 'saturation' setting that has a much longer time and much more reverb in the mix... I also use a fairly unobtrusive chorus effect for a lot of chordal stuff, and some tremolo, wah and pitch shift (particularly octave effects) - distortion wise, I have a crazy saturation patch to give me full on satriani-esque lead sounds, and a more subtle one for rhythm guitar sounds...

For solo bass the principles to keep in mind are clarity (people need to hear you) but not too brittle, and contrast - if you're layering sounds, it's nice to be able to hear the different parts, though you can make that distinction with your hands, not just with effects...

experiment and see what you can come up with!