Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Escapes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by The Urbs, Apr 28, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    I thought this would be a cool thread for people to share ideas on how people free themselves from the grips of reality and are just unbound by stress, anger or any negative emotions or things and are in total state of peace. It can be anything, drawing, music, or other means of reaching a tranquil state, could be talking to a person. Also feel free to post some problems and Im sure many people would like to help.

Mine are:

Drawing, anything really, just drawing makes me feel happy.

Music, honestly this maybe a popular way, but listening to some Phish, Dead, Doors hell even The Who makes me feel invincible.

For some reason I love to hear stories from people, especially the old timers :p for they have so many cool stories and their lives were not as different from ours now, easily relatable.

Feel free to post anything, Im sure many here consider this place a nice sanctuary itself and talk to the great people here.

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    anything bass... and my mind wanders...........................see

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Playing bass and talking with friend's. -Luke

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My 1 1/2 hour commute each way to work: 3 hours on the open road to distance myself from anything that's bugging me.

:bassist:

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Bass, reading and running (jogging). Sex. Anything that gets you into "the flow".

6. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Cutting the grass.

Or a 48" longboard and a nice, long, sloping downhill run.

But since I'm getting older and the knees don't work as well these days, cutting the grass. :hyper:

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Zen mediation, composing, playing with my little ones...

Playing the bass is not, and never has been a relaxing experience for me. I think too much about it and am never satisfied with my performance.

8. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    Taking my Trans Am on a long drive....

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    1) music, bass related or otherwise
    2) sleeping
    3) driving
    4) talkbass, other forums (escape from work!)
    5) video games.

I've just added exercise,which always used to be a great escape for me, hopefully it will be again!

10. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Reading. Hunting. Meditation. Led Zeppelin on full volume. Doing the "hang" at my favorite pub.

But the best all time stress relief, for me, is watching The Three Stooges.

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    3 stooges definitly, those guys arn't botherd by reality!

12. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Yea, driving is defiantely a way I just whatever, like not on any main streets, mind you I believe im a good driver!

13. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    My Girlfriend and Music
    I could be having the worst day, and confiding in my girlfriends arms and looking into her eyes will take me away from it all. Also, I play music to vent my anger or sadness, I have a song for most each of the things that have been bugging me lately, so when it comes up again I can just play the song over and over and it will usually clear me up.

14. Surfing a secret spot all by myself. Early morning walks on the beach with my dog. Fishing and camping high up in eastern Sierras.

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey, we must be tied for the worlds longest commute - and I thought I had it hands down...

My commute does calm me down a bit - good "alone time"
    I also:

Playing bass (of course)
    fishing
    working in the yard on a sunny day
    working out
    *ahem* "quiet time" spent with my wife
    breaking things

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    1. Cycling. Try to get out 2-3 times a week with my wife for 10-15 miles.

2. Taking Bud, my 7 year old Black Lab for walk along the river.

3. Tormenting my two teenage daughters.

4. practice bass.

5. driving the winding roads throught he vineyards around here with the sunroof open.

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Finding something to laugh at takes my troubles away anytime. My friends and the Phil Hendrie Show are my main sources of humor...

18. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Spending time with the wife and sons, getting in my race car and blasting around the block to scare the neighbors, listening to or playing music. Hunting. Lifting weights.

19. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Playing bass, reading, listening to music, driving, taking a poop... It's all good. :)

20. Swinging on the traveling rings, although the commute to and from Santa Monica can be a huge source of my stress.

And lately, to escape from the research paper that I'm taking a break from right now, The Saga of Ryzom open beta.

Otherwise, video games in general are pretty good, too.

I'd say "driving" as well, but until I find myself some nice dirt or at least unpaved roads, I don't know how happy I would be. :p