1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your estimate of a good price for this vintage P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bongomania, Feb 27, 2008.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A nearby shop has a '76 P. Ash body, rosewood board, fretless! Natural finish. The bridge is an old Badass, obviously nonoriginal. The board has just recently been milled down, supposedly because the previous owner played it with roundwounds enough to dig grooves in the board. The back of the neck appears to have been refinished sometime in the past; the finish is too thick and glossy to be original (at my guess) but there are some dings in it that look pretty old. The front of the headstock is a nice age-appropriate yellow, but the sides and back are lighter and not yellowed at all. The decals look right. The pickup, black pickguard, pots, tuners, and wiring look stock. The ashtrays are missing. The body and neck both have some small dings and scuffs appropriate to the age, nothing serious though. No heavy mojo. I didn't have them remove the neck. It plays and sounds great, and is not too heavy.

What would you pay? They have a price tag on it, but I don't want to skew your opinion.

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I believe the front of the headstock being yellowed and the sides of the head and rest of neck being more "white" is normal for 70's fenders. They did the front of the headstock in lacquer, the rest in poly, or some tougher finish. Sometimes you can see aged orange or yellow lacquer overspray or runs on the edge of the headstock as well.

For value, I don't really know. Not a ton of $$ is my guess.

3. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    I'll take a shot and say, with the refin neck and missing bridge, maybe $1200-$1500.

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    That much? I know where a nicer '78 is listed (nicer than what is described above that is) for $1400, but its mocha brown. Not a great color, IMO.

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Thanks guys! Any other opinions out there?

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    If you like the sound, the truss rod has turns left, the electronics and pups are good, and the looks past the "bongomania" checklist, I'd say $1300. Let's face it, FRETTED 3tsb (or Oly white) are more saleable.

As far as the thick poly on the neck, that was true, even in the '71 fretless P's I've played and owned.

Got PIX?

+1 on the lacquered headstock deal...

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Oh....check pocket tightness. Ask if you want instructions.

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yeah, my pockets are pretty tight. That's why I wanted info for bargaining on the price. ;)

9. prsbass

prsbass

Oct 13, 2006
    Seattle
    The '07 vintage buyers guild has "78's starting around $1300 and going up to about $2000. Given the non-original stuff on the bass you described I'd start at trying to get it for $1000 and wouldn't go over $1300.

10. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1

11. I doubt the neck is refinished. 70s Fenders are notorious for their thick glossy neck finishes. 'dipped in glass' is a phrase that comes to mind

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Good to know, thanks.

FWIW they're asking for $1600, and it's a very small-time shop (TradeUp Music) so I doubt I can get them to go below $1400 or so... I'll talk to them about it but I don't need it that badly. Just thought if it was a "deal" I should snap it up since it plays/sounds nice.

Cheers everyone!