Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Euphonic Audio iAMP setting

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wneff, May 20, 2005.

1. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    Hi,

everyone who has an EA iAMP 800 is well aware of all the different things you can do with that EQ.

How are you setting yours up and what do you find practical? Please write what bass and what cab you have.

I use mostly two settings with my Ibanez SR895 (with Bartolini PUs):

Setting one:
    Bass +8 @ 100Hz
    Lo Mid - 8 @ 500 Hz Q=1/2
    Hi Mid -8 @ 2k Q=1
    High -6 @ 4k

Bright on .

A more conservative, instant good sound I get with
    Contour 1
    Bright
    EQ off or minor corrections.

I run into one or two CXL112s w/ horn at 12 o' clock

I also use the same setting for the NS EUB, but there I often cut treble on the onboard electronics.

2. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    I leave all the presets off to start and then
    Lo +10 @ 135hz
    Lo mid -6 @ 240hz : !1/2
    Hi mid +2 @ 3k : Q1
    Hi +5 @ 1k

3. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a 600, can I still play? :)

I use the "slap" contour most of the time. I like how it gets rid of the nasty 1K range. If the gig is really quiet, like playing with a choir, I kick in the Deep switch to add some oomph.

LM

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have a 500. Here are my usual EQ settings:

Sometimes I push contour 2 in. It's funny that as powerful as the EQ is on this amp, I mostly like to run it flat.

5. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I just bought my Iamp800 because I was sick of lugging a rack system around. I really love the tone BUT....
    I'm having the same problems with it that I did about a year ago when I first tried one.

Problem 1: I get a significant "POP" when I turn the amp on or off. This happens even with the speakers "off" button engaged. I'm thinking that over the long run, this can't be good for speakers.

Problem 2: This is my biggest problem. I get a huge amount of "HISSSSSSSS" with this amp. It's almost as loud as a computer fan or power amp fan. No matter what settings I try and even with the tweeters in my cabs (CXL112Ls) rolled all the way off it's still there. It is present with no instrument plugged in and it is present in the headphones which leads me to believe it would be in the XLR out as well. This seriously concerns me for recording purposes.
    In a really noisy club setting or while playing, I'm sure it wouldn't matter but it would be clearly audible in a lower volume setting and I certainly could not mic the cab to record in a studio. The hiss seems to me most affected in the "hi" area of the EQ section. By rotating the knob the sound out of the speakers goes from "WOOOSHHHH" to "HISSSSSSS". If I totally cut the Hi section (-15db) it tames it a little bit and if I don't turn the Master Volume above 3 it helps.
    The input gain has no affect on the hiss and I can crank that all the way up.

Here's the settings that I'm currently using and I'm hoping that one of the EA experts here can help out with this hiss problem. I have written EA with questions about this but haven't heard back from them yet.

Input level: between 5 - 7
    Low: +5 at about 60hz
    Lo Mid: 0 - +5 at 500hz
    Hi Mid: +5 at 2K
    Hi: I'd like to have it at +5 at 4K but the hiss bugs me
    Contour I engaged at 1/2 octave
    Volume: between 5- 7 depending on how much hiss I can stand

I'd really like to keep this amp. I do love the tone, portability and volume. It is fantastic! The only problems that I have are the POP and HISS. Thanks for listening to me gripe a little and I hope somebody has some suggestions.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    +1

...and sometimes I push Countour 1 instead of 2. :D

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Matt Morgan--I have a new version (dual FX loop) iAmp 800. I don't know what to say about the pop (mine does it too, it's not very loud so I'm not to worried). I know certain SWR amps do this and I"ve never heard of it damaging the speakers.

As for the hiss, that's not normal, though I have heard this from other iAmp 800 owners including SMASH. I just went and did a check of my amp into a Bergantino HT-112 with the tweeter 3/4 of the way up and there was very little hiss. I was using my F-Bass BN5 in passive mode with input gain all the way up, adjusting the output level between 2 and 10 and messing with the treble control and Bright switch.

I mean there's a little bit of hiss, but it's what I consider normal. Less hiss than my lower-powered amps (GK 400RB and Eden WT-400) into the same cab at similar volume settings. Many high-power heads/amps I've tried (Mesa Boogies and QSC PLX come to mind) have loud fans that run constantly which probably covers up hiss at low volumes.

I bought my iAmp used. When it arrived there was a very strong electrical smell when I opened the box. First time I plugged it in and turned it on sparks flew out the back :bawl: I contacted EA and Gary told me it was a problem with some "counterfeit filter capacitors" in the supply chain. I shipped it to EA and they fixed it for free. I had them put in the Jensen DI transformer while it was there. Haven't used the DI yet (though I will at a live gig/recording session this week). Amp has worked great--loud but very quiet. I'll report back about the DI later this week.

So far I'm running the amp mostly flat (sometimes adding a little upper mid boost) and with the Deep or Contour I/II engaged. Sounds great with BG, DB, and EUB! I can't wait to fire it up at a loud gig with both HT-112s.

8. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    I talked to Bob Gollihur and sent an email to Gary at EA. They both said that this is certainly not normal. I tried the amp again a little while ago and the hiss was so loud that my wife came in from another room and said "wow, that hiss is nasty!".
    I'm sending the amp back to EA for repair or replacement.
    I soooo love the tone of the amp but this hiss is killing me!
    If it comes back with the same hiss issue I'm going to simply ask for a refund and start looking for another lightweight high power amp.
    I hope it works out.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    With EA cabs, I generally leave the EQ set entirely flat, with no contour switches engaged. And man, does it sound good! :D With Accugroove and ACME cabs, I generally engage the Bright switch and leave every thing else set flat. Also sounds great! The only cabs where I tend to use a decent amount of EQ are with my Epifani's, though I can't recall the settings right now, sorry. But, of course, once I dial it in... you guessed. They sound great!

As for hiss, mine does have a very slight hiss, that if you are not talking and you get your head close to the amp you can hear, but it is very quiet, and I had never noticed it until some other TBers had mentioned encountering difficulties with hiss from their iAMP 800's. Matt, I hope Gary can take care of yours. He has been awesome to work with from my side of things.

Take care, Tom.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    My iAMP 500 has some hiss, but not a lot. It is enough that you can tell the amp is on. In a gigging situtation you cannot notice it. With the TNT the iAMP replaced you could not tell when you turned it on except for the power light. It was completely quiet.

I also get the thump when it is turned on.

I either leave the EQ flat or a slight boost to lo and lo-mid.

Where do people keep their gain (input level) volume?

11. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    The TNT does not have the high end response of the iAMP, so there's no surprise that there is no hiss.

I keep my input gain full on. For my 5 string and my fretless I use the Active input, by lucky changce the NS design is about 6 dB quieter, so I plug that one into the passive.

Wolfam

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The "pop" when you turn it on is normal and there is nothing wrong. Every amp would make the pop when you turn it on if manufacturers didn't filter it out. Filtering out the "pop", however, also would take away from the overall clarity and sound of the amp, so EA has chosen not to filter it.

My old WW used to do the same thing

Mike

PS - If I am using my amp as just a stage monitor, I set the amp flat. If I need to, I will EQ to the room. I'll play a line into my Boomerang and walk around, get a feel for the room. If I do some minor adjustments, I ALWAYS start with cutting frequencies, not boosting.

Dimin

13. slagbass

slagbass

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    iAmp 600 here. Run through 1 or 2 EA VL210's.
    All presets off. Start flat.
    Set parametric for 90Hz low and 660Hz low mid.
    Back off the lows if the room is boomy.
    Back off the low mids if it sounds too "honky". Bump low mids if I'm having trouble cutting through.
    Mess with the highs only to compensate for the condition of my strings. :meh:

14. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    The solution to the "pop" is to turn the volume down before turning on (and off) the amp.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I usually leave the EQ flat.

I use the Bright most of the time.

I use contour 1 for fingerstyle & tapping, and contour 2 for slap.

I will occasionally use the Deep if I need a little extra oomph.

16. Mike is right about the disconcerting pop. I've had it with Peaveys, Fenders, Trace Elliot, Sunn, Gibson and others, both tube and solid state for bass, guitar and steel guitar. I forget what the electrical component is that causes it, but the volume knob is the solution.

17. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    This "Pop" occurs regardless of volume settings and it occurs (as I wrote in my first posting) even when the speaker button is in the "out" or off position.
    I intend to send it back to EA for repair or replacement but they have been extremely difficult to get a hold of and get a response out of. I know that it has been the weekend and all but I haven't received any replies from them since last Friday.
    I really hope I get this worked out or it's back to amp shopping.

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    again ... dimin

19. Matt Morgan

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Of course I read your comments Mr. Dimin, I simply posted a response to those that commented that the volume knob was some type of solution.
    I have had an extensive exchange of emails with Gary at EA. Similar to one other situation I can recall here on TB, my email system was filtering out the responses from Gary for some reason.
    Everything is cleared up and the Iamp is on its way back to EA for examination. Although I was a bit stressed about the situation, EA has again proven its dedication to its customers.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This thread is AWESOME! I just got my new iAMP500, and everyones input is great. I don't know much about adjusting EQ's, so this is most helpful.

Answer me this fella's....when you guys say flat, do you mean you turn the EQ off by leaving the tone/flat button out? Or, are you turning the knob to "0" for each of the four sections? Also, within each section of the EQ, you can adjust the boost or cut, and also there is a sliding scale of the frequencies covered. Can you boost or cut each frequency seperately in that section?

As far as EA customer service, I have zero complaints. Gary, John, and Larry are top notch. I can tell these guys genuinely care about making good quality bass gear over making a dollar. For those wondering why Gary has not responded immediately, I do know he was having some health issues recently, so that may have contributed to his delay in replying.

-Mike