Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your experince/opinion on the 'DBX 160 Compressor'

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by yoshi, Nov 6, 2002.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hiya, i searched this forum and read through the yeilded threads, but they didnt really help to much.

Have any of you used/own one of these? If so, what do you feel about it? hows it compare to other on the market? etc'

It's Just ive been offered one 2nd hand for £200, and have been after a compresser for a while now so maybe now could be the time (what with an extra income boost at xmas ;)...if im lucky:rolleyes: )

Cheers :D

edit: ps ive checked out harmony central, just interested on your views too :)

2. The DBX 160 is a good compressor for bass, but too expensive IMO.

Good stereo compressor's go for half that much new.

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    ah right, thanks :)

could i be a pest and ask for some reccomendations on alternatives please so i can check em out online, possibly (hopefully) in a store too?

Cheers :D

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I used a dbx 160x for about a decade. Great compressor for bass, I used it in-line just before my amp. It was super transparent and easy to dial in a musical setting.

I sold it when I got an Eden preamp with built-in compressor, I tried to save myself a rack space. Bad move. The Eden has a good compressor, but it doesn't compare. I gave myself about a year to decide whether I could grow to accept the Eden internal compressor. Nope.

I'm now in the market for a used dbx 160 on Ebay . . .

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  6. I have a DBX 166A in my rack, and I will tel you this : I will NEVER have a rack without one from now on.

When I first got it, I was really new to it, and what it could do, but now that I've had it for a while, and my ear is getting a little more precise about the tone I want. (Think Billy Sheehan) I realized how to use it to get that tone.

I'd highly recomend pretty much anything from DBX. But it you want a slightly chaeper allternative, the Alesis 3630 Compressor is pretty good.

Good luck.

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    cheers, ill look into your suggestion.

Seeing as im pretty new to 'extras' (eg effects, processors etc) ive decided not to gor for the 160 (mainly as it looks so damn complex!), so i was looking at the 266, reccomended by a bassist on my msn list. Do you have any views on the 266?