Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Expirence with Ashdown combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 21, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

In my search for some new amplification i have come across the name Ashdown i have never heard them in person actually all i know is that Adam Clayton from U2 uses them and i heard Paul Mccartney plays through them as well. How do they sound?,hows their bottom end can they handel a Low B?.Any input would be valuable. Thanks.

2. MAJOR METAL

Sugestions as to where has the best price on them would help to.

3. well, i have a mini10T cab, and it doesn't really handle the low notes that great, but then again, its a single 10! i can say that tim commerford plays ashdown amps, and keeps his bass tuned BEAD, and it seems to do the job...i really like the ashdown sound, i don't know how to describe it really though...its a really smooth sound (imo) not really an in-your-face sound, similar to SWR or eden...i love them...

4. I've owned a MAG 210T-300 for about a year. It's the rig I use for smaller to mid size rooms/gigs. It actually puts out a lot of sound for a 210 combo, it is loud. I've used it on jobs where there are 1000 or so people, huge p.a., and it really monitors well, good DI right from the amp. The cool thing about the amp is it's versatility, works well with f-less, 4 string P or J, and 5 string, at all volumes. I think that zzsounds has it on sale, I'm not sure of the price. All in all I'm very happy with the amp. I never use the eq section, I run her flat and rely on sansamp/sad. pre for passive basses, and when I play my Sadowsky Metro 5 the onboard pre is enough. my other rig is an older WT-800 with an Avatar 212 cab, 8 ohm. Check the Ashdown site and locate a dealer near you, I would definitely try before you buy.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the bassist in my last praise team used the older 1x12 combo, and it sounded great. nice punchie sound, and very warm. also liked the black on black look, too.

also, at the recent bass day live conference here in NYC, i got to stop by the ashdown booth in the exhibitors' ballroom, with our own Dave Wilson, where we both tried most of the ashdown line.

while to my chagrin, there was no RPM-1 preamp, the red Mark King head really knocked me out. i remember thinking, "i'd take one of these over the ampeg equivalents any day". also, while the combo lines werent too shabby either, i still thought my friend's older combo was that much nicer sounding.

all in all, a great amp company from across the pond that gets too easily overlooked on our shores.

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I have never heard one of the combos but I do have an ABM 500 head... and I will say that after the recent ashdown price-drop on all of the major online sites, the prices now are great... You can now get an ABM 2x10 combo, cheaper then you could once get just the head...

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Funny enough I was just considering calling the local shop over here, to purchase an Ashdown After Eight.

SMASH, can you give some comments on it? I haven't had the chance to play it and since I'm looking for a small combo at home (and had experiences before with the guitaramp PM20) I would like to think it's a nice box. Cool design anyway.

Cool mp3 by the way..!! Nice basswork... ;)

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I also have a abm c110 300 like Smash mentioned, they are fantastic amp if a little heavy but heavy for ashdown always seems to mean quality.

I'll be getting a mini 4x8 soon to really kick my mini rig up a notch, I found it was always loud enough to handle most guitarists, yes it would struggle to keep up with a 100w marshall stack while being used at 8ohms but it wouldn't go down with out a fight.

Personally I quite fancy the Mark King head with a mini 1x12 as a combo, I think that would be pretty amazing.

I'm aslo waiting for a pedal pre amp from ashdown that would be wicked.

Hope this helps

9. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I had a ABM C110-300 also and it was amazing. Handled the low B much better than anyone expected and with the extension 1-15 cabinet it worked well in larger gigs. I ended getting rid of it as I seldom play in small rooms now and almost always have to use the house rig.

FANTASTIC sound, I should have kept it even though I couldn't justify keeping it for a practice amp.

HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!

Dan K.

10. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Hi MAJOR METAL

I had to laugh at your expense, but I thought the header to the thread was quite funny. ;o)

'Your expirence with ashdown combo amps', as in to 'Expire..'
    made me think of an alternative thread header 'Has anyone died using an ashdown combo!'

Sorry, I was off on a tangent for a moment!!! LOL.. made me giggle!

:)

11. MAJOR METAL

Which Combo amp would you reccomend for alot of juice and low end?. Thanks

12. MAJOR METAL

Does Ashdown make any combos with 2 15?.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Not that I'm aware of you could get them to build you a custom king combo with would be an abm 500 with a 2x15 cab if they'd make that all flight cased up.

They do however make an ABM 500 1x15 and you could always get another cab, or maybe 2 mini 1x15 and an abm 500 head, hmmm maybe they could flight case that for a wierd king combo, just letting my mind run here.

Drop them an email, what your after sounds like a custom jobby from them, sounds fun

14. MAJOR METAL

15. MAJOR METAL

In comparing tone or a trademark sound what other amp company could you compare ashdown to?.

?

16. I have a MAG250, with a 15 inch speaker. It handles the low notes really well.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've been using the Ashdown ABM 210 500wt combo for close to 7 years and it is very solid sounding and very versatile.the sound is clear and round and there seems to never be a problem with not having enough volume(the 500 wts almost seems as if it's more).

http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/artists/detail.asp?ID=50

18. MAJOR METAL

Very Nice, will that keep up with a guitar full stack?

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The ABM 2x10 500wt combo is very powerful and has a very strong presence,it has enough headroom to hang with a stack.

20. MAJOR METAL

ZZSounds has some great deals on them.