Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your expirence with Warmoth figured maple tops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 2, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was looking around their site and those wild maple tops are pretty cool, what have your expirences been ordering a bass body with one of thier figured maple tops?.Thanks

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Never tried any maple from Warmoth, but their products are a good value and very consistant..IMO the top wood has much less effect on the tone than what's underneath it. Make sure you plan your project well so everything "bolts" together o.k..

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The bass I'm selling has a Warmoth Alder body with a quilt top. It's absolutely stunning, one of the most amazing quilts I've ever seen. It's got a heavy grain pattern in it that is very unusual, I've only seen similar patterns in four or five other pictures on all the quilts I've seen in posts here over the years..

IMPORTANT! I bought it unfinished through my local luthier, who had it sent to Wilkins for the green paint job you see. Warmoth paint work doesn't comare favorably to Wilkins, for that matter, virtually nobody's paint work does. They are the best in the business.

[​IMG]

That picture does not do it justice.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    that green...DANG! HOTNESS!

5. MAJOR METAL

I dont now if it is just the pictures on their site but alot of the figuring on their bodys looks weak.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My finishes on my Valenti basses rocks and they were done by Warmoth.

7. Are you refering to the unpainted bodies? I know what you mean but I think the stain and finishing makes them come alive.

8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I've seen same damn good figured tops in the showcase. Theu don't seem to put out all their good stuff all the time. I know you can request upgraded tops though.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
  10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Now THAT'S what I was talking about. I swear I saw that exact body in the showcase a few weeks ago... Or maybe one like it.

11. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Well obviously one just like it considering the date on your photo.

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    In big ways!!!!! The figuring on my green bass was much more muted on the unpainted body, but you could tell how wonderful it was going to be.

14. MAJOR METAL

Yeah the finish really seems to bring it a shot of life.

15. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    As you already figured out, nope, couldn't have been this one a few weeks ago. I had this one custom ordered over a year ago. I don't remember what grade of figuring I paid for but it came out nice. To be honest, I'm not as happy with the color as I thought I would be, but I'm not unhappy either.

As for finished vs unfinished, dry wood does not show the patterns as well as finished wood. The more accomplished wood sellers on eBay will usually wax the wood before taking the picture. It is amazing the difference in appearance. Also stain can be used to accentuate the grain patterns. If you notice in my pictures, the staining process is uneven based on the grain of the wood. So, by staining you create a more stark contrast in the figure.

16. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Another example:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    These days I'm wetting down all the figured tops with solvent and putting a watermark on the picture so you know it's been done.

17. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Here's a finished body I got from their Showcase (back then it was called the Thrift Shop). It's a P made from Korina.

I just ordered a Mahogany carved Dinky P with a 5A Quilt top dyed amber for my next project. Can't wait!!!! :D

[​IMG]

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I don't see any pics here, Brian. Just me?

19. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Oops! I had the links pointing to our intra-net, not the inter-net. Not much use unless you're in the building here! It's fixed now:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia