Your Fav 34" Scale 5 String Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 4, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

as much as i love my Elrick 5 string, the longer scale length was starting to get to me during last my couple of rehearsals. so, i thought besides working on my forearms, i'd look into getting a 34" scale 5'er as a backup.

soooo... what's your fav? i know Sadowsky, Ken Smith, and Fodera are great, but i'd like to hear other suggestions. thx.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pedulla. Thunderbolt, MVP, Rapture, makes no difference. Those things have Bs to kill.

After that, Stingray 5.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I wouldn't mess around. I've either owned or tried them all and the Sadowsky is the way to go:)

4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My Zon has a great B
  5. I've owned and sold a lot of 5 string basses over the past 8 years. I always go back to my "all white" SR5
  6. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    No matter what anybody says, I still love the sound of my Ibanez SR3005 (prestige) 5 string. Love the B, and everything else... _-soto-_
  7. After trying everything I could get my hands on, my Sadowsky is my favorite. There are many great basses out there, I just haven't found anything better than Sadowsky for me.

I am anxious to get my hands on my new Nordstrand.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    There are a number of great basses in the 34' scale. I think it all depends on the price range that you're looking to spend. I'm sure you can find a great Fodera for about 4K, Sadowsky at about 2K, Stingray at a 1K, and on and on.
  9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    more and more players going form 35 in scale to 34 or at lest 34.5 -
    i am one of them-
    i play F bass primarily but i recently bought a used fender am dlx 5- and i love it- thought about sellingit a coupel of times because im a hopeless, but after i plug it in and play it as i did minutes go- i know i should keep it and so i will- of course, sadowsky is much better- but i could buy 4.37 of my fenders for what a Sad costs- now,, if it were to be my MAIN bass....
  10. FWIW, my favorite "mass-produced" 34" fiver--that I've played, anyway--would be the Warwick Thumb 5. Not everyone's cup of tea, though.

I'd be curious to play an older Sadowsky 5 with a thick neck.
  11. I love the hell out of my G&L has a nice B string, as well as a ton of sounds, and I got it for a really good deal.
  12. I dig the Pedullas, F-Basses, Zons, Sadowskys, et al....In fact, there aren't many basses I don't like...:D
    But I keep coming back to the trusty Stingray 5... It's got some mojo that just sits right with me...:D
  13. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    My new Nordstrand has one of the absolute best B strings I've heard and it is a 34.5" scale. I have no doubts that it would have sounded just as good if I had gone with a 34" scale.
  14. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hands down............ Carvin LB75[P|F]} all the way!
  15. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    does scale matter and what is it???????????
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Scale length is the distance between the nut and the bridge saddles, or technically the distance between the bridge and some fret doubled or something. It determines the distance between frets and some believe a longer scale length produces a tighter B string and a generally higher tension to the strings that makes them sound better. It can be important; some people don't like the longer reach, and others believe it's the only way for a great B. It's kinda a preference thing.
  17. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    The Stingray 5 and the Fender Roscoe Beck 5 are both killer basses. Take your pick.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Damn right we are, and worth every penny.