Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Fav Amplifier/Cabinet Combo...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Jun 10, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Thought we'd have a little fun here. ;)

Pick your fav head, preamp, whathaveyou, and mate it to a cab that best complements it, and tell us why.

you can as obtuse as me, or as succinct as you want. we might reach a concensus on some combo's, which hopefully might help someone pick out their next head or cab to go along with their gear. think of this post as the companion to moderator, kirbywrx's, current Amp Buyers' Guide, and Van/Josh's Preamp Shootout. :p

me?

Kern IP-777 + Epifani cabs = cause the airy sheen and clarity of an Epifani cab's lows really bring out the best of that deep, luscious nature of the Kern's tube tone.

EA iAMP-xx0 + Bergantino cabs = almost the reverse. the clear bell like tones of the EA iAMP really translate booteefily thru the Bergantino's more glossy midrange tone.

Eden WT400 + Acme B2 Series II 2x10 = the flatter, smoother sounding Acme doesnt unnecessarily over hype the highs or upper mids of the already peaky Eden head, thusly taming the Eden's more aggro feel. and the woolly warmth of the Eden adds a little spice to an otherwise "natural" sounding Acme.

and yours? :D

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Well, I have say that my favorite head/cab combo is what I am running right now. An Ashdown ABM 500RC EVO run into 2 Epifani T-112's. It is kind of like a Yin-Yang effect. The warmth and punch of the Ashdown is reproduced perfectly with the clarity of the Epifanis.

My other favorite combo would have to be an SWR Power 750 -> SWR IOD -> Goliath III. Great combination that can produce a yummy R&B/Motown vibe.

3. i just wish i had a head and a cab :bawl:

4. Carvin Cyclops is practically the only head/cab combo out there that I've played. pretty loud and is sweet with upright. I dig it... Sounds great with a 5 too

5. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Heh, I know the feeling :)

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For DB: EA iamp800 through an EA VL208. Clean as a WHISTLE. For BG, I substitute an EA CXL112 for the 208 and add a Bergantino HT112 on top. Yowsah!!!

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I say the rig that I'm going to be getting:

BAM 210 combo with an Acme b2 cab.

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I gotta go with what I have.......

Hartke 3000

9. Mesa Walkabout to two Epifani T-112's

Best tone out there and extremely portable.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I believe that there is a great complementary synergy between the components of my system:
    Demeter VTBP-201S preamp
    QSC PLX1602 power amp &
    Bergantino HT322

I love the tonal pallete it can serve up; great combination of articulation, power, and smoothness with just the right amount of low-bass slam and mid-bass growl.

[I have a StingRay 5 that sounds pretty darn good with this system, but I would like to hear some other really good basses through it (like maybe a Fodera Emporer II Elite 5 or Sadowsky Vintage 5 or F Bass NB5 or Zon Legacy Elite 5).]

11. chardin

chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    joker,

Do you currently own all of those rigs? :eek:
    Does the WT-400 have enough watts to drive an Acme 2x10?

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well,

i've owned them in the past, but my current rig is definitely based around the Kern/Epi sound. prolly wont look any further, unless a WW falls in my lap. :p