Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your fav. pre- and power- setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diezel420, May 29, 2002.

1. So, what is your favorite preamp and poweramp setup?

I am thinking of taking this road, and am thinking of running a 4x10 (maybe later two of them) with over 1000 watts and with a good, versatile pre (my two MAIN gigs are a REALLY loud hard rock/emo (eek!) band and a fairly quiet jazz/funk trio, so I NEED versatality).

PS- If you could include what kind of music you play, I think you know that would help me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Rock and Jazz 'n Funk?

Eden's gotcha covered baby! Eden Navigator will be just about all you can handle, and then some.

I personally play in a hardcore/metal outfit with a Carvin DCM1000 poweramp and an Eden WT-300, which I run DI out as a preamp.

3. Kern IP-777 preamp
    Crown K2 power amp

Rock, funk, blues, metal, surf

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Alembic FX-1
    Crest LT1000

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the power shouldn't matter except for wattage - and anything over 1kW should be plenty. any good power amp should have no affect on the sound. my favorite is carvin: cheap, reliable, and true to the sound coming in.

as for preamp - my favorite so far is the SWR interstellar overdrive for it's warm tube tone, clarity, and versatility.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I haven't come across anything I like better than the Demeter preamp.

7. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Love my setup....
    Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp and Ashly FET-2000M poweramp. The tone comes from the preamp so any good quality poweramp should suffice. My Ashly amp has been great and reliable for the past 10 years but it is quite heavy compared to some of the modern units.
    The SVP-Pro is a pretty versatile preamp. It has a nice clean tone when needed and has great tube overdrive when desired with a foot switchable eq and mute function. My sound guys are pleased with the DI from the unit and never complain about the signal I send them. I think for the the price it is unbeatable.
    The band I'm in does covers of Metallica, White Zombie, Motorhead, Pantera, Mudvayne, etc and I have good tones for all of them.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Demeter VTBP-201s
    w/
    Stewart World 1.2
    for the "hifi" crowd.

Aguilar DB680
    w/
    Peavey DPC1400x
    for the "rockin' punch in the gut" crowd.

9. Hell, I haven't posted this pic in a couple weeks. It's pretty modular and should be loud enough to do just about anything you might want to do.

Ampeg SVP-PRO
    Peavey DPC1000
    Eden D-210XLT and D-115XL

Peavey doesn't make the DPC1000 anymore but the DPC1400X is a little more flexible anyway. Either one of them or a Stewart World 1.2 would make a nice, light one rack space power amp. I prefer the Peaveys because they have a cooling fan and the Stewarts don't, but that's just personal preference.

[​IMG]

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Preamp: an old Pearce BC-1 preamp...two channels (footswitchable to select on or combine them both), something like 6 or 8 effects loops (ironically none of them switchable), limiter etc.

Poweramp: QSC PLX2402.

The Pearce's control scheme is not unlike my SWR Bass 350 head....gain, bass, semi-parametric mid, treble, volume. Simple, flexible, straight forward and sounds great. The two channels have different distortion circuits (but also sound great clean) so I end up with a lot of tonal possibilities.

With all of the patching capabilities, I have great results with running the blended output to one channel of the QSC then to a 1x15. The signal from the channel that I have set up to be clean goes to the other channel of the QSC then to an Acme B2.

During my solo, I kick in the distortion channel which based on the way I have everything connected sends a clean/distortion blend to the 15 and leaves the Acme clean...nice agressive blend of rawness and articulation.

11. Heck, here's a pic of my rig. I love it. Great for all styles.

[​IMG]

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love my Stewart 2.1 power amp. It's got tons of power (400 watts per channel into 8 ohms per channel), probably more than I need, and it only weighs 17 pounds! One cool feature is that it is a "dual monaural" amp, which means that one side can continue to function even if the other fails. I could get by just fine running one channel of that amp into both of my 2x10 cabs, rather than each from a different channel.

There are so many good preamps... here are the ones I My Alembic F2B tube preamp (bought used) gave me over 15 years of perfect service before developing a problem recently. It's simple (3 band EQ with bright switch) but sounds fantastic; it has enough gain to beef up any bass regardless of how weak the output is. The Alembic F1X is a mono version of that preamp with a few more features. My TC electronic 1140 is an amazingly flexible 4-band fully parametric EQ/preamp. I'm also a big fan of the Tech21 SansAmp products for bass. I own a BassDriver DI pedal and am thinking of getting the RBI (rack-mountable version).

13. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    QSC PLX3002
    Sansamp PSA-1

Soon to add:
    dbx 266XL Compressor

14. Hey, JimS -

How do you like that RNC? I'm thinking about getting one. Anything I should know?

15. I think it's amazing. Sooo transparent and quiet; absolutely no noise. However, I have a great bass with superb electronics (Sadowsky) so there is minimal noise to begin with. I have no regrets.

On many of the recording forums some of the pro's feel it blows away many $2000 compressors. I have no comressor g.a.s.

Note that has unbalanced ins and outs. It can accept balanced ins and outs if you watch your cabling. For a bass player, this usually isn't an issue.

I think you can buy one and have a trial period. It has a wallwart which is the only negative thing. On their website the rationalize why they opted for this.

I've never read (on forums) a negative thing about them. I highly recommend it. It's 1/3rd rack space.

16. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    JimS, did you do any comparison of the RNC to the dbx compressor? Unfortunately a lot of the stores by me don't carry rack equipment, so I can't try out different stuff. I'm mainly going on people's experience. I've heard good things about the dbx 266XL. I wasn't aware of the RNC. Anyone have any experience with both?
    Thanks in advance.....

17. JimS said...

I think it's amazing. Sooo transparent and quiet; absolutely no noise. However, I have a great bass with superb electronics (Sadowsky) so there is minimal noise to begin with. I have no regrets.

Yup - I've read the manufacturer's writeup and understand the wall wart thing. That isn't a problem, though.

The electronics in my 55-94 aren't too bad - I think the RNC might make a good addition to my rack - or velcroed outside it - my rack is full :(

thanks -

allan

18. No comparision. I bought it based on word of mouth: the RNC is great of for anything--bass, vocals, guitar, drums. I use to frequent the recording forums (Frangioni, Roger Nichols, G. Massenburg) and this thing is supposed to be incredible on it's own and considering the price nothing short of outstanding. I thought the big dbx was the 160 but that's major coin (I have my dbx product numbers right). You have to set the threshold really low to capture a passive bass. If I were you, order both, try them, and return one.

19. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    Thanks for the info.
    BTW - Where did you get your RNC from? Musicians' Friend and American Musical don't seem to carry it.