1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Fave VVT/cap Combo for A Dimarzio Model J Set

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fhm555, Mar 28, 2015.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Hey folks, I've had a set of model J pups for a while now and have run them pretty much with the stock control set in an MIM J bass. I like it OK and have tried it with V/B/T and V/B/tonestyler setup but it just didn't blow my dress up enough to want to stay with either one so I'm back to the stock setup. That said I've always wondered what a V/V/T setup would sound like with all the 500K linear and audio taper combos, 500/250K combos, and different cap values, but never really wanted to order up the parts to experiment with.

Not long ago I traded for a bunch of stuff and in that pile were some 500K linear and audio taper pots, 250K linear and audio taper pots and a decent assortment of caps. I've got a few extra control plates laying around so I've decided to put together some different pot/cap combos and give them a whirl.

Before I spend a lot of time building by the seat of my pants and hoping for the best, tell me what your favorite pot/cap combo is for model J pups and why you like it.

Thanks in advance for any and all info, experiences, and opinions.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    500k linear volumes and 500k audio tone without a doubt, and maybe a .02 cap (rather than .047) since they're higher impedance humbuckers. (the hotter and more "humbuckery" the pickup, the smaller tone cap you need to roll off the same amount of treble.)

line6man likes this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I've got the stuff but much to my chagrin, the Alpha 500K audio taper pots in my recently aquired parts are too small to fit the hole in my control plate so I'm once again looking at ordering something to make this work.

If this pot will work and it's OK to use some type of bushing I'm sure I could come up with something, but I'd prefer something with a .375" mounting post.

Is the 500k solid shaft audio taper pot CTS makes for mojotone the only one available with a solid shaft and a .375" bushing? It's the only one I've been able to find.

highway likes this.
  4. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
    can you keep us updated on how this goes? i have a set of modelJs that i have yet to install, and i'm looking for ideas on what parts to order to get them up and running.

thanks!

5. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007