1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Favorite 100 watt hand wired tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Bonny, May 21, 2019.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I’m starting to look for an 80-120 watt hand wired tube amp. What do you like and why?

Amps I’m curious about are 70’s Hiwatt DR103, Fender Showman, Fender Bassman 100. I’d also seriously consider slave heads with no tone controls I could run a preamp in front of. I need to become more educated and am pretty open minded at this point.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Sunn 2000s 120w
    Sunn 200s 60w
    Alamo Fury 1x15 combo
    All with adjustable HPF

Everything.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  3. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Definitely on my short list.

4. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Dumble

I'll show myself out...

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Remember, it's 30 inches (76.2cm) wide and weighs about 65lbs. It's my go to amp and has always taken care of business.:thumbsup:

If a cab is too narrow, I stand the amp on its side.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Since you mention hiwatt, I have a science mother, based around the hiwatt DR201 with some modern updates and neat features. They can be ordered in 50, 100, or 200 watt versions. Mine is a 200 watt/4x KT88 type.

Favorite in the 100 watt range would probably be a V4, but that probably wouldn’t quite fit your tone goals if you’re looking at fender and hiwatt like amps.

7. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I don’t have any specific tone goals. I just feel like my tube amps are more responsive to touch than any of the many solid state amps I’ve used. A V4B could totally work for me. I just want access to a little more volume than the 50 watt head gives.

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I fondly remember playing a Guild Thunderbass in college. There around, the Quantum X Thunderbass was @ 90 watts.

primusfan1989 and Jeff Bonny like this.
  9. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey I’ve got no problem spending that kinda money for an amp. I don’t have that kinda money for an amp....

joker820, Goatrope and basscooker like this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    If you can find one, a 1965+ Fender (blackface) Super Bassman. Otherwise, just buy a brand new Fender Super Bassman. It's got a blackface too.

Jeff Bonny likes this.
  11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Burman Pro2000 is my favourite.

70s DR103 are bit prone to melting down if pushed into overdrive, part of the problem is for whatever reason they spec a 3a HT fuse when it should be 1a, no idea why, it will still blow a fuse if pushed, just won't melt the PT that way.

Wiring in a Pro2000, by Chris Spencer.

[​IMG]

PWRL, gregmon79, Jeff Bonny and 2 others like this.
  12. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. maxschrek

maxschrek Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN.
    IMG_20171007_111759833_BURST000_COVER_TOP. IMG_20190309_161245298.

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    These may have been separate thoughts but in case they weren’t the V4 is 100 watts.

I believe the super bassman came out in the silverface era and later became the 100 then 135. The blackface bassman amps in the early 80s were the same as the ultra linear late 70s bassman 135 models. The UL era fender amps are not my favorites by any stretch.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    joker820 and Zbysek like this.
  15. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    My Verellen Meatsmoke is switchable between 300W and 100W, and it's got plenty of juice at 100W. In retrospect, I could have just ordered at 100W version to save a bit on weight and cost.

Boutique heads are obviously great, but don't get too hung up on the "hand wired" aspect of it all. Don't overlook mainstream production amps just because they might have a PCB and a lower price tag.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Passinwind and Goatrope like this.
  16. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    YBA-3 pop-top. The Traynor YBA3's, they are a clean sounding amp, and easy to work on

keyofnight, funkytoe, kjp360 and 5 others like this.
  17. fender super bassman or bassman 100 (vintage)
    orange or80 or or120
    traynor yba-1a (80 watts)
    guild thunderbass or quantum

the guild or traynor will be the cheapest if that matters. guild and orange are baxandall tone stacks (flat is noon) and traynor and fender are fender tone stacks (flat is 1 bass 10 mids 1 treble approximately). The orange has an FAC control which when clockwise adds treble and cuts bass, the further Counterclockwise you go you cut treble and add bass and mids. cool tonal option.

Happy Face and Jeff Bonny like this.
  18. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I’ve had modern Ampeg and Ashdown tube amps that sounded great. The new Fender and Traynor tube amps sound great. At some point though anything with a PC board becomes more disposable than something hand wired. It’s purely a matter of repairability. I don’t mind being “hung up” on keeping more **** outta the landfills.

19. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Hey I'm all for buying used for the exact same reason. Good on ya.
    Just didn't want you to overlook any viable amp options in your search.

20. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Several things you guys have posted that weren’t on my radar that are now. Around here in the late 70’s probably through the early 90’s you couldn’t give Traynor and Garnet tube amps away. Wish I’d been more aware then....