Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your favorite 5er string width at the bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAD2X, Nov 8, 2005.

1. 66mm

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. 70-72mm

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. 76mm

30 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. I'm curious to know what string width (mesuring from B to G) ppl here prefer on their 5er's. I have 66mm, while it's nice for fast fingerstyle playing, I find it harder to slap on this tighter spacing. What's your opinion on this?

2. My main bass used to be a korean Tobias Deluxe 5 with 64 mm spacing (1.77" nut) where I just couldn't slap comfortably so I also had a 4-string Wasburn for that.

I didn't like to have to switch basses so I built myself a Warmoth 5-string, which is now my #1, with 70 mm spacing (1.875" nut) and I can slap fine on it, though of course it's not as comfortable as a 4-string.

The Toby is now my backup and I no longer have the Washburn, so I wanted to make it a bit more "slappable" just in case and replaced the original bridge with an ABM, 68 mm. It's gone from "just can't slap on this thing" to "not great but ok for a backup bass".

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I recently sold my Warwick 5 and my Steinberger 5 for spacing reasons. I just couldn't get comfortable with the narrow nut widths and bridge spacing. My next 5 will definately have 3/4" pitch at the bridge and 1 7/8-2" at the nut. Oh yeah, the Warwick was too heavy and had neck dive. Too bad, I really liked it's other features. But, I couldn't get past the spacing.

4. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I like a tighter spacing than most. My main 5's both have Hipshot bridges with 17mm C-C spacing...68mm total. One has a nut width of 1.7", the other (really) 1.65". I like it quite a bit, and have never felt cramped at all (normal sized hands, FWIW). A bit tight for slapping sometimes, but it's not really a problem and I don't slap a whole lot anyway.

Most seem to prefer wider spacing tho...

5. My EDA has 19mm spacing IIRC, so 76mm :)

(BTB is the same but 6 string)

Anything smaller and i tend to be completelly off

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I've had three 5 stringers: An early 90's Washburn Axxess bass (which was stolen), a Carvin BB75 (still have it) and a MusicMan Bongo (my current main axe). The Washburn was VERY narrow (I don't remember its measurements) and I didn't like that because popping the D string is very awkward. After it was stolen and I was looking for a new bass, I found the Carvin option and at the time the LB75 and BB75 were available. I chose the BB because the wider neck, which is 76.2 mm wide at the 24th fret. The LB is 69.8 mm at 24th fret also (big difference!). I loved the BB75 neck. When I ordered the Bongo, one of my main concerns was the string spacing because I didn't want to return to a narrow neck. This instrument is 71.4 mm wide at 24th fret. More towards the narrow side, for sure, but not as much as my Washburn (I think the LB75 is similar). It didn't take me so long to get used to this string spacing, which now I think it's the best compromise.

7. OK, '76mm' for y'all furriners ;) . But I'm making a face right now because I can't vote '76+mm' :rollno: . I have a hard time hitting the right string and ONLY the right string- I need all the help I can get. I think of wide spacing as the equivelant(sp?)of the large-size legos(you know, for little kids, who have a bit less dexterity :D ).

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

76mm. After playing four-stringers with (19mm x 3) string spacing for two decades, my fingers are accustomed to (19mm x 4). Tighter string spacing doesn't help at all, it just feels cramped.

9. Does anybody happen to know offhand the spacing on a Warwick Thumb 5? I know the spacing is tight which is good for fingerstyle/tricky for slap, but I dont know the exact number and can't find it in the Warwick specs.

John

10. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
    If I didn't have the hands of a 10 year old girl I'd prefer the wider string spacing. But since my hands are abnormally small, I can slap the strings just fine on even the tightest of string spacing. I even do a little slap & pop on my 7 string guitar. Fingerstyle is pretty comfortable too.

11. I don't know what the spacing of my StingRay5 is, but I do know that it is the first five-string bass I've ever played that I felt comfortable with. All the others just didn't feel right. The moment I picked this bass up, it just felt good.

Also, for what it's worth, I had played Carvin, Fender, and Lakland 5ers all before.

12. I read recently that Thumb 5s are 16.5mm center to center- you do the fancy math. :rolleyes: I went through a couple of those & couldn't make it sound good. I also had a wide(wenge)-neck 5, but it was THICK & CHEEEYUNKY beyond description- also very heavy, w/serious neck dive. :spit: Nothin' like the T-4 I loved. :(