Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your favorite all-around musician

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, May 18, 2005.

1. Yeah, some people can play one instrument really well - but what about the people who do it all? The ability to play many instruments well is one of the biggest things I want to accomplish as a musician.

Who does it all that you like the best?

Personally, I go with Ben Folds. He's an amazing vocalist, pianist, guitarist, and bassist and can play more than just one genre. That speaks volumes.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think that there's one obvious answer to this: Prince. The man is a freakin' genius.

I would also put Lenny Kravitz down. He's a highly underrated bassist. Just listen to his groove on Sugar from Are You Gonna Go My Way?

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Marcus Miller can play a pile of instruments pretty good.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    For me, there's Geddy Lee. Nothing more need be said about his contributions to bassdom, but he also plays guitar, keyboards, sings, and is a fine and unique songwriter.

And then there's Sting... who also plays many instruments other than bass. And another great songwriter!

These two guys (among others) not only inspired me to play bass to begin with, but to also branch out a little and play other instruments (I also play guitar and keyboards, and can get by on drums.)

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    For me it would have to be Sir Paul.

6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i hope i dont get flamed for this...but i greatly respect flea's musicianship. and ill be the first to say that he's definitely not the best, but i love his intuition and he can feel the music so well. hell of a bass player and quite a good trumpet player as well.

but i do think prince is incredible. he has such a command over everything he does.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hermeto Pascoal.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Ralph Towner gets my nod.

9. I'll also add Dave Grohl to the list.

10. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Bela Fleck?

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My two are Geddy and Jaco.

Both able to play multiple instruments at a high level, both good composers(especially Jaco!) and both at the top of the game on bass. At least Jaco was before he died.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Probably Paul McCartney. I love his voice-he has tremendous range and soul, and his piano and guitar work is great. Everyone already knows what a great bassist he is.

13. +1

14. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    avishai cohen... piano and bass real well.

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    +1

16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Paul McCartney; pure genious

Dave Grohl; I don't think anyone expected the Foo Fighters to be a great succes, and they sound good too :) Probot in nice too, so props to him.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Then how about Mingus?

Is this thread about guys who could put out an album as a 'full band'?
    If so-
    Prince
    McCartney
    Stevie Wonder

...or is it about guys who can play 2-3 instruments well?
    If so-
    Eric Dolphy. A virtuoso on three instruments...alto sax, flute, & bass clarinet.

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    actually mingus and Stevie were two others that I had in mind as well, but our man Avishai needs to get props. The International Vamp Band album, he plays only piano on the whole album, except for one song, right?

19. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Another vote for Pat Metheny. Great composer/arranger (his guitar playing is OK, too).

20. Mick Ronson - Bowies early 70s stuff WAS Mick Ronson. And his solo albums rock too.