1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your Favorite Allman Brothers Band Bass Player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Roger W, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Berry Oakley

159 vote(s)
    60.2%
  2. Lamar Williams

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. David Goldflies

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  4. Allen Woody

18 vote(s)
    6.8%
  5. Oteil Burbridge

37 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. I cannot pick just one!

35 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. I hate the Allman Brothers and would never voluntarily listen to them.

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  8. I’ve never heard of this band.

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  9. Carrots!

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    The Allman Brothers Band is near the top of my list of rock bands. Of course, like any long running band, there was tragedy along the way. Who was your favorite bassist within the context of the band? What they did before, after, or in side projects doesn’t count.

It’s nearly a 4-way tie for me, but I’ll choose Mr. Oakley since he laid the groundwork for the rest.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    JimK, BayingRidge, Flacco and 6 others like this.
  2. Hover-Rich

Hover-Rich Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    Craig, Colorado
    Hover Harness, LLC
    I agree about Berry. Okay, I'm an old guy but the stuff he did with the early ABB is golden, IMO.

The Owl, JimK, Jjacks651 and 9 others like this.
  3. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Berry for sure. The ABB had many great bassists over the years, but they all build on the foundation laid by Brother B.O.

4. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Berry - he laid the foundation.

5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Every bassist they had was great, but Berry will always be at the top of my influences because he was around when I first started playing. The Allman Brothers were like Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers to me, always bringing in top young talent to fill whoever left the band. One of the best bands ever! IMHO

JimK, DJ Bebop, berman3313 and 5 others like this.
  6. Roger W

Roger W Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2019
    Baltimore USA
    I think Lamar Williams gets a bit of a short shrift since he was there immediately after Duane and Berry died and the band went for 2 keyboard players instead of 2 guitar players. I really like “Brothers and Sisters” and “Dollar Gas” with the exception of Jessica on side 4. I won’t talk about his time in Sea Level since that violates my rules.

The Owl, JimK, BayingRidge and 5 others like this.
  7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I'll talk about Sea Level, I loved that band! I saw them before the expanded lineup and they killed! I loved Lamar's playing.

JimK, DJ Bebop, Ks68jazz and 9 others like this.
  8. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Definitely B.O.
    His playing clearly influenced the ABB sound. Next to Duane, nobody influenced their sound and music style more.
    All the ABB bass players that followed Berry primary emulated his playing.
    He was certainly one of my main influences.

RocknRay and dcr like this.
  9. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I'm practically indifferent to anything about the Allman Brothers Band, but at least today I learned something new: A guy named "David Goldflies" apparently played bass with them.

Who knew?!?!

10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Berry Oakley, obviously. This is a question? Wish id seen him live before he died.

RocknRay, Shepsdad and Roger W like this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Berry Oakley wrote the blueprint that everyone else followed. They were all great, but they all followed the Berry lead.

ezra1, JimK, RocknRay and 5 others like this.
  12. guildB302DavidGoldflies.jpg

13. I'm a huge Allen Woody fan. That being said, no Berry... no Woody. And I think Woody would've agreed.

ezra1, BayingRidge, Timmah and 5 others like this.
  14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
  15. Somewhere around 77-78. That ad ran in Guitar Player for at least a year. That's the only reason I know of him. The ABB is not on my radar at all.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I saw them live with Goldflies, ppaying the first Alembic Series 1 I ever saw, monstrously huge bass. He did like a 15 minute bass solo, par for the course. Great player, but Oakley was the best.

carsbybigd and iammr2 like this.
  17. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Kalamazoo
    1200px-Allman_Brother_-_Oteil_Burbridge.jpg

No question! Oteil is my favorite bassist!

JimK, BayingRidge, Ks68jazz and 11 others like this.
  18. Father Gino

Father Gino Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2018
    Farthard, Connecticut
    I think the live at the Fillmore stuff was the best that that band ever did. They had a cohesive and unique sound that was lost once Berry was gone. To be honest, I’ve not listened much to the bands later offerings. What I have heard just never grabbed me. I could listen to Hot ‘Lanta over and over again. Oakley melodically sailing through that tune over that freight train duel drumming just floors me.

duncmill, Hover-Rich, portpc and 8 others like this.
  19. Berry, Fillmore shows. stuff of ongoing legend.

20. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I saw him a couple of times. Here's a couple of pics a friend of mine took of him playing at the Macon Auditorium April 1971. It was the last time Duane would play there.

Alman-3small.jpg Alman-2small.jpg

ezra1, JimK, BayingRidge and 14 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021