1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your favorite amp in terms of tone.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nitsuj, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Let me be clear: this is not a question concerning the most or least powerful amp. It is not a question that requires an explanation of "my needs". It is not a question about weight, nor price, nor availability.
    In terms of pure tone, what is your favorite (your OPINION) sounding bass amp? Please answer with an amp that you have actually played, and preferably owned. If your favorite player had one, and you didn't; I don't care. You need to have spent some time with it to be able to make an accurate decision. If you can please explain why you made the choice you did, that would be great.

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I haven't described the gig, but here it is:

Playing a Sadowsky P/J or Valenti fretless, I get my best tone with an Art tube channel (two 12ax7s) and Crest CA-6 driving my Epifani NYC 210, with the goliath ll 4x10 underneath it. Even without the 4x10, it kills.

3. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    From experience, for low power recording, vintage Ampeg B15, Hiwatt DR-504 with a 15" EV

For performance and recording Blue Line SVT or the new Reeves 225

4. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    An Eden WT-400 through a D210XLT is tone nirvana for me.

Cheers,
    Duff2

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Easy! The DB 750. A very close second is the MB TA501, but in terms of great tone and the raw power to maintain that tone at the volumes I need, its the DB750 all the way.

6. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    Aguilar DB750 for me.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My current rig, which is definitely a pawnshop special - Dukane tube PA head, Lopo 1x15 cab with an eminence speaker. The sounds better than my '69 SVT, Bassman, B15, GK, etc rigs I own/have owned. Big, fat, warm sound with just enough definition. Sits perfectly in the mix too.

8. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    My favorite amp is my modified Sunn Beta Bass. Gets nice warm clean sounds plus you can push the drive and get a good distortion. It has that old school sound that most modern amps don't quite capture. Plus it has never failed me in 25 or so years. The amp was a ported 1-15 combo, but I modified it to be a sealed 2-10 early in it's life for a tighter sound and smaller size. Not the loudest at only 100 watts, but it gets the job done.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    in terms of conventional bass equipment i'd say glockenklang by quite a long way.

10. Plookie

Plookie

Jul 14, 2006
    Endorsing artist: SIRE Marcus Miller v7 Jazz bass, DR Strings HI-BEAM
    +1

11. ThunderV

ThunderV Is getting yelled at by his cat!!

Mar 26, 2007
    Brunswick, OH
    I own a sansamp RBI and it sounds great. I run it into a qsc 850 poweramp then to a Ampeg 8x10 cab. For rehersal I run it into a peavey tmax head then to a gk goldline 210 cab. on both setups I can get incredible tone out of all of my basses. The basses are #1 Stingray 5, #2 Custom Warmoth J bass with SD 1/4 pound pups, #3 Stock Ibanez ATK (the guitar center model). I guess it would depend on what style of mysic you like, your playing style, your basses...etc. I'm not saying that the RBI is the be all end all for everyone, but it was definitely the "missing piece" that I found.

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Mesa Boogie 400+.

13. Sunn

Sunn

Nov 9, 2008
    Los Angeles

My Girlfriend plays guitar out of the Sunn Beta Lead guitar amp. +100 in the nice old school tone and durability of those guys!!! She has 2X12s and that thing can blow away most Marshall, Mesa, and pretty much any other combo in its class!!

For me in Bass Land, I Absolutely love the straight out tone of my 1972 Sunn 190B with 2 NOS Sylvania 6550s. Talk about smooth and CLEAR tone!! I have 2 1X15 cabs loaded with Eminence Delta drivers, and no tweeters. I have never played a setup in 15 years that has kept me this happy!. Since the 190B is so smooth, it is impossible to overdrive, so I added an Electro Harmonix Hot Tubes Valve pedal to wake up the amp!

Love it.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd have to say that the AMP BH-250 (completely different EQ than the BH-420 & Thunderfunk) into Bag End 12" drivers is exactly what I like tone wise.

15. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    :eek::hyper:...Read Purity through an Aguilar db728...thread over IMHO...:hyper::eek:

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    EA iAmp800 into an EA VL208. Sounds great with DB and slab! :)

Just wish the pair were loud enough for all of my gigs. :meh:

17. It's a tie between the Mesa/Boogie D-180 & Eden WT-330. D-180 for scorching sizzly rock tone, Eden for clean, clear fundamental & DB/doubling. Wish I had both(have the 180; had a CXC-110, a 1x10 combo version).

18. It's a toss-up between the WT-405 and the WT-1205. The WT-405 (and the WTX-260) has a lot of clarity and great low end. The WT-1205 is smooth, warm and detailed.

19. Budha bass

Budha bass

Feb 19, 2009
    Paris / France
    depending the needs :

very precise and accurate, dynamic etc...
    I use the Tecamp Puma 500.

More old school but precise and with tube tone...
    I use a sadowsky SA200.

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I'll agree with Jim that the ART Tube Channel is a superb bass pre-amp. It's my #2 pre-amp. I drive a choice of Mackie or Carvin power amps with it.

Currently my favourite pre is one I built loosely based on the B15. Two channels each with a JJ 12AX7 and a Brimar 12AT7 driving the transformer isolated outputs.

Paul