Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your favorite amp under $1000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deceptikaun, Aug 21, 2000.

1. deceptikaun

deceptikaun

Aug 19, 2000
    Hey-
    I live in a town where the music scene is, well, less than ideal. I don't have the ability to try out all the amps. I'm leaning toward a hartke 7000 right now. I was also considering the Carvin 1000 watt but I've heard some hairy stories about that one. I need something loud enough so I will always be able to get a good sound, regardless of the venue. (obviously not a stadium) What's everyone's favorite bass amp for under a thousand bucks? I would like to hear from everyone on this one. Thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Eden Traveler Plus WT-400. It lists for a little over $1K, but can be bought new for less than $800. So you've got $200 left for a cab, which ain't much, but buy something used until you can get an SWR or Eden cab.

3. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    Old Ampeg SVT. Got mine for $450. New tube and cap job for around $350. Total cost of $800.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    The SWR Bass 350 lists for 999, which means you can get it for a couple hundred bucks less than that. It doesn't have all the features of the Super Redhead or other higher end amps SWR makes, but it still has that great SWR tone.

5. deceptikaun

deceptikaun

Aug 19, 2000
    Do all these amps have the ability to pump out a loud clean sound? People are always telling me that 350-400 watts isn't enough for a rock setting. They say they bottom out on the B and get raspy at higher volumes.

6. Virginia, I think your little friends are wrong. It depends more on the Efficiency of the speakers that you use more than the wattage of your Amplifier.A 400-Watt Amp coupled with a few really Good speakers (Eden, SWR,Bag End) should be more than enough to bring the walls down.

7. deceptikaun

deceptikaun

Aug 19, 2000
    Virginia eh

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    You didn't tell us what you have to choose from, or are you looking to have something shipped in? If I had my choice, I'd be looking for an old Acoustic 360, more than capable of doing the job. After that, I lean towards the Gallien-Krueger 400B with either a 2x15, or that weird-ass folded horn cab they used to make; I think it had 4-10s inside the folded horn, with 2-12s front-mounted. If you're looking for a rock setup, I'd consider budgeting for a high-powered amp with a folded 18" cab, and a mid-power with front-mounted speakers; you looking primarily at used gear, but this will shake the back wall and give you some clarity.

9. Sorry, couldn't help it. But I stand behind everything else.
    (It's the best way to hide!):D

10. alternative roster

alternative roster

Aug 21, 2000
    i like my ampeg b4r got a great deal bying it as a second.
    it has enough power and versatillity to accomidate all of my needs

11. penstock

penstock

Aug 10, 2000
    I just bought a Gallien Kruger 400RB head with the folded cabinet that gweimer was talking about, except mine has six 10" speakers instead of the 2 12's and 4 10's. Anyways, I love it. It sounds great and it's plenty loud. I've only had the master up to 2! Anyway, I picked it up used for under $500 and am happy with it so far.