your favorite bass body wood/laminate top

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 25, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Swamp Ash Fan's Unite !:hyper:

2. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    im a huge swamp ash fan. in fact, if i get a stambaugh custom, it'll b swampash with a green or blue oil finish (a la warwick)

3. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Spalted Tulipwood.

Flamed Bamboo is also nice.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, this new Skjold of mine has me liking spanish cedar (as a body wood) a lot, too. Especially when you have multiple laminates going on.

Tom.

5. MAHOGANY

6. Nothing like a good piece of ash, is there MM???

:ninja:

:D

7. MAJOR METAL

You got it Bro ;)

8. Body: Swamp Ash | Top: None!

My Zon Sonus is simply the swamp ash with a clear laquer on it and she's damn sexy. And while I am generally a simple beauty kind of guy I do also get into maples (flames and quilts can be quite nice).

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Calm green ocean... calm green ocean...

All my stress has magically disappeared!

10. MAJOR METAL

Thats a Beautiful thing ! :)

11. Body: Swamp ash, ash

Tops: Quilt maple, Spalted maple, dirty ebony, redwood, man too many to list.

12. My favourite combo (although I dont actually like the basses)exists on the old Ibanez SR1300 series.Mahogany centre with padauk top and back(very deep red colour).

13. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I really like the myrtle burl tops that MTD uses, like on this one...

[​IMG]

or this one...

[​IMG]

14. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    body: black korina - it's the most exotic looking plain tonewood IMO (and it sounds fantastic). poplar is nice too. not a big ash, maple or alder fan. mahogany is ok.

top: meh, not really a fan of overly fancy tops. too much work, too distracting, etc. i used to like spalted maple until i built a bass with it and got a healthy dose of respiratory infection :D

neck: wenge, bubinga

15. Whatever top Fodera uses that looks like the wood exploded outwards, I love that...

I like all body woods besides Basswood. But my fav's are Swamp Ash, Mahagony and Maple.

My fav tops are: Spalted maple, Burled maple, Quilted Maple, Curly Maple, Cocobolo (depending), Zebrawood, Rosewood, Macassar Ebony, Ebony, Swamp Ash and Spanish Cedar.

Major Metal, I don't know if I''ve said this before, but your jazz has one of the best Quilted Maple tops I've ever seen (do you have any headstock pics, I don't think I've seen any). I've got green jazz gas cause of you now... :) Any chance of you bringing that to this years NYC GTG?

16. MAJOR METAL

I will bring it back out for the GTG this year. I really do enjoy this bass very much , it has recived the bulk of my playing since i got it in September. This is the only pic i have with some headstock in it [​IMG][/IMG]

17. Oh, I thought it had a matching headstock. either way, that bass is still sex. :smug:

18. MAJOR METAL

You got that right.;)

19. naughty seminarian :ninja:

20. ash for a body, ash by itself is awesome, as for tops i like the darker woods like walnut, mahogany, ebony

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021