1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your favorite bass for recording?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Apr 25, 2006.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Hey fellow bass players--
    what is your "go-to" axe for studio work, and how is it setup, eq'd, preamped, strung, etc for your top sessions? Some producers I have worked with just want a passive J with new rounds on it, while others want the biggest fattest sounding bass with flats. What's your one axe that you'd take to a session? For me, my Mike Lull vintage 4 string J with Lindy Frailins and half rounds does the trick for rock & country sessions. Usually I have both pickups full on with tone full on as well. Sometimes I run it through a Sadowsky preamp/di or a UA 6146 preamp before going to the console.
    RK

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    My Tobias Signature six, and my 5-string Warwick thumbs have both illicited various compliments from engineers. DI, and even straight to the desk.

3. My Sadowsky, usually DI'd or an Avalon if possible. Strings vary depending on the music. My old Lull m5V sounded great in the studio as well.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    My Kubicki, does the trick.

5. My go-to basses for recording are my two Reverend Rumblefish, which are indeed passive, J-style 4-strings. I string 'em with roundwounds. Volume and tone wide open all the time. I just did some recording with them a couple of weeks ago, through the "Tube Amp" setting on a Line 6 Bass Pod. That, combined with an engineer who really knows how to mix bass, resulted in the best tone I've ever gotten on tape. Fat and warm with tons of growl.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Spector, Sadowsky, & Warwicks! All strung with SIT's. Also, I recorded with a Roscoe once, and that too was sick in the mix! Gotta have an Avalon or Aguilar DB 900.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sadowsky delivers the good everytime in this area ! I am looking foward to hearing how G&L's record.

8. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    My go to ( not that the phone is ringin') is a '74 jazz bass with a few modifications
    Sadowsky preamp.
    Bartolini humbucker sitting where a Pbass pickup would be
    The Bart is on a three way switch that gives: both coils series, both coils parallel, one coil.
    Vol, vol, bass treble, Pull for emergency bypass ( used it once, when I checked out the bass at Rogers. He said leave it on all the time, I thought I would use it as another tone option. Played with it on, tried it off, left it on since then ( 1987, i think)
    BadAss II

Attached Files:

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I really like how the Sterling records, i havent recorded with the HH sr5 yet.

10. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    i have three basses that are my main recording basses. #1 is my trans orange jazz, ash/rosewood. very midrange heavy bass but translates well in the studio. an exceptional recording bass. the jazz will do it all if need be. it's my fave bass #2 is my butterscotch p bass, alder/rosewood. just gets the job done. sometimes i just feel like playing a p. #3 is my zon six string fretless. trans blue with a quilted maple top. tone from heaven in this bass. i had one engineer bowing down to this bass saying the bass had magic in it. he was touching it as if the magic was going to transfer to him through osmosis. (i'm not making this up.) if i need a fretted fiver i use my stingray 5 or my zon fretted six but i haven't used one in 4 years. peace, jeff

11. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    ime a j style, p style, and a hollowbody provide all the choices I need (at least one strung with rounds and at least one with flats). i have never needed a fretless for the work i do but that would be an important option for some (perhaps one day a Pensa fretless is in order).

what I have been happiest with is a Sadowsky Metro Alder/Rosewood fingerboard strung with TI Power Bass strings, a Tyler (pickups voiced P/J) Ash with Alder core/Pau Ferro fingerboard strung with TI Jazz Rounds, and a Hofner Club bass strung with La Bella Beatle bass flats.

Occasionally I will bypass the pre in my Sadowsky and use an outboard Demeter EQ pedal to scoop the mids when I want the ultra modern sound.

As far as Di's, I love my A Designs REDDI way more than I ever thought I could love a direct box.

12. JBass1

JBass1

Dec 6, 2005
    NYC
    Warwick Thumb NT 4 with Elixer nanos

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    My Le Compte VBX 6(see it on LeCompte website) string pretty much nails ANY situation, also my FBB lupis 6 string(see it on FBB's website in gallery under "Neals Bass") just kills the funk jams.

14. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Spector NS-4 Hands down!

15. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Lakland JO5 with J-retro.

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Steinberger XM-2. Both pickups full, EQ knob set flat. Lately I've been getting more work with my DB, though. Word got out that I own one, apparently.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    G&L SB-2 with J-Retro outboard pre has been my favorite combo thus far. Far from my favorite bass, but produced some Fantastic results on tape.

18. My favorite recording bass was a Rickenbacker 4003. It sounded way too good recorded for it's own good. I'd like to try a 4001, as the newer 4003 neck was not my cup of tea, hence why I sold it.

19. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    my Carvin LB75F cuz it's the only playable bass i own at the moment. soon i'll have a Gooey basses custom, built by me :) . i also don't do any recording except for the live stuff i do on Sunday mornings for church, so my post is kinda pointless (also considering the fact that i've never heard myself play on a recording) :) .

20. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Anything that says Sadowsky on the headstock.:D

Seriously, even when I was in Sadowsky land I would always take along my old ass Jazz thats been modded to hell.
    Old, and I mean like very first generation Bartolini single coils (not too long after they were "HiA" or something like that-20+ years old maybe) BadAss bridge-just as old! Hipshot D-Tuner.
    I am yet to play a 4 string that sounds like that thing does. I've had producers and engineers offer me cash on the spot for it. And I've owned a LOT of nice stuff and still do.
    Both p/ups full on. Passive tone rolled back about 15%
    Strung with D'Addario XL's 45-65-80-100 nickles.
    EQ it SOMETIMES like this 1Khz about -3db, 120hz maybe +3db and heaven!!:hyper:

These days I don't do much with out my Groove Tubes DITTO Box tube DI. Retubed with NOS Telefunkin tubes.

Also floatin around is my Fodera Matt Garrison 5. Also strung with D'Addario nickles, just add a .130 B string.

Like I said, I was Sadowsky all the way, and still praise them. But I'm just changing thngs up a bit.

But trust me, it's more the hands than the bass.

Live recording stuff, all basses hit a Demeter Compulator compressor pedal, then the GT DITTO Box, signal is split via a custom line splitter to the board and to my rig.