1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favorite bass "thing" of 2016

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt O, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Hey what was your top bass related acquisition/discovery/thing of 2016? Could be a bass, a piece of gear, a strap, a $300 power cable, a technique, a bassist, a favorite bass line, the right shorts and ball cap for your live gigs... anything. Pick just one though. The favorite one.

My fave is the Hofner Ignition Club Bass I picked up on sale a few weeks ago. I literally can't put it down. I can't believe I was totally unaware of this great little shortie bass for so many years. It has blown away all other bass "things" this past year for me and with only a few days left in 2016 I don't see it being dethroned.

Your turn... :)

(Mods, I put this in basses because I kicked it off with a bass and I don't really see a better forum for it. Please relocate if necessary!)

funkytoe, +6dB Dan, mikeyjm2 and 2 others like this.
  2. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Phil Jones Bass Big Head

3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I buy very little in terms on Bass stuff these days, but I have to say the best thing I bought this year is the VMJV neck for my Affinity JV body...suuuuuwwwweeeeettt!!!

4. The Fender Rumble series. I got the 200 and it's an amazing combo!

5. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Dingwall NG-2 5 string in black.

Bones

6. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I wasn't a pedal guy until a week ago. My wife bought me a MXR 80 Bass D.I. and a MXR 10 band EQ and they have been the best upgrade to my sound ever. I'm still discovering how to tweak the two, which is a ton of fun. The overdrive is exactly what I was looking for. I like a touch of drive meshed with the bass tone. Last night I was working on tweaking them to produce a Jaco type tone. My active P bass benefits greatly from the pedals. I thought my sound before I had the pedals was good, but now... wow!

Marikk, XLunacy, hisdudeness and 4 others like this.
  7. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    Warwick RB Starbass

8. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

My Fender Super Bassman Amp runs a close second to this USA Geddy Lee Jazz. A fine playing Jazz.

SiP3m7E.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    GK MB500 head.
    Bought it for a back up, end up using
    it on half of my gigs.

10. CaseyJ

CaseyJ

Jul 28, 2016
    Northern Indiana
    Zoom B3 pedal. Great for headphone practice late at night.

TrustRod, Marikk, Eikari and 3 others like this.
  11. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    The Bassman 500 head my wife got me this Christmas to go with the Bassman 115 Neo she got me for Christmas two years ago! (Delay = long story, don't ask.)
    IMG_20161130_092356.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I don't even know where to begin!

I bought a stunning new Fender AmStd Jazz that I absolutely love. My old and most favorite StingRay that I thought was "dead" was able to be brought back to life. I bought a new, 4in wide strap that is beyond incredible. I finally figured out how to make pedals really work for me and my setup. I purchased my new favorite head (Mesa D800) and have finally found my tone. I finally found myself in several new bands after taking a few years off from music... the list is endless. I have had a very blessed musical year!

13. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Audiokinesis cabinets and my Reimer pro5 20161119_194614.

10cc, Helix, Roxbororob and 3 others like this.
  14. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I have 2.

In Feb, I traded a JamHub TourBus, that I won in 2012 and never even used once, for a Traynor YBA 200-2. I would make that trade again in a heartbeat. My other amps are collecting dust.

Second, picks. I was strictly a finger player for 30 years. Over the past month or two, I've been putting some time into picking. It's been like discovering something new within something old and familiar. Been enjoying experimenting with different materials, gauges, sizes, textures, etc. Very fun! And, I'm a much better picker than I thought I'd be, perhaps because I only have to focus on my right hand.

The Deep End and Roxbororob like this.
  15. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    my Stick

stick.

ficelles, rwkeating, SteveCS and 14 others like this.
  16. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I have been enjoying picks as well there is just something about the pick and a P bass.

Matt O likes this.
  17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

For all of '16? The new Vox Amplug 2.0 I picked up is very sweet and I discovered Labella Deep Talkin Quarter Rounds. My pedal board, bass and amp are still the same, but there may be some amp changes for 2017.

18. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I had several major acquisitions this year so I'll pick one each from some primary categories:
    - Bass: G&L L-2500
    - Amp: Mesa Subway D-800
    - Cabinet: Barefaced Big Baby 2

If the gun's to my head and I have to select just one of those, it's a really tough choice, but I'd say the L-2500.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    1954bassman, GtenderG and mikeyjm2 like this.
  19. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    This Tbird Pro IV far exceeded my hopes so far.
    One of the best basses I've ever owned
    Virtually unplayed in new condition at used price, with case
    IMG_1830.JPG

The Deep End, Ironbar, 10cc and 2 others like this.