Your Favorite Chicago Song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Chicago has just released a collection of their best music The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning, a 2 CD set. That brings to mind this question, which of Chicago's songs is your favorite, assumung of course you are fan of the band?

I guess I like "If You Leave Me Now" the best. Of their albums my favorite is one they released three or four years ago. Strangely enough, it is a Christmas album.
  2. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Chicago rules. I like pretty much every song on the greatest hits cd my dad has. I like to play along with the cd sometimes, their bass player was good.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Are you referring to Peter Cetera who was both bassist and front man for the group?
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    As cliche as it sounds, Twenty-Five or Six To Four (numerical is wordical, take your pick) is my all-time fave. Followed by Saturday In the Park. My parents listened to Chicago all the time and I suppose that's why I'm so fond of their hits...
  5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    whoa!i never knew the bass player was also the singer?cool...
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Yup, he is the man who will fight for your honor :rolleyes:

I think we should change this thread to "Best Chicago Album Title." Now there's an exemplar in artistic creativity. :D The band's, that is.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    They have a lot of great songs. One of my favs...

Questions 67 & 68

Check out what Peter Cetera came up with as a bassline for the brass ensemble section in the middle of the song. pure genius!

I think he used a P Bass, played with a pick, and went through an Acoustic 360 with the 18" folded horn cab back in those days.
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cetera was one of 3 "lead" vocalists(Kath & Lamm being the other 2).

IMO, the first 3 albums by Chicago are essential...Rock-Jazz was a fairly new genre(late '60s) & yet unspoiled by commerciality(Chicago's latter releases succumbed to this).
    Anyway, I was listening to the debut disc this weekend & they really stretch out & at times, they are episodes of '60s Free Jazz present.
    Terry Kath's 'solo' piece from that 1st album, "Free Form Guitar", is a sonic-fest(if you like Van Halen's "Eruption", check out Kath's).
    If you check out the 1st album, do listen to the entire prelude to "Does Anybody Really Know What
    Time It Is?"...there some piano work for x-minutes & then BAM! the band enters. Nice, IMO.

Also, I see Chicago's 1st 3 albums have recently been re-issued & re-mastered(a couple have bonus material).

I can't answer your question; I do like the "hits"(even "Just You 'n Me" has, what I call, a pseudo-Weather Report vibe during the soprano sax solo/interlude) & I really like the deeper album cuts where the band stretches out(there's a lot happenin' in the rhythm section during that long outro on "Beginnings").
    FWIW, there is a very nice/cool piece on Chicago VIII called "Brand New Love Affair, Parts 1 & 2".
    ...& no one here has probably heard it, right? ;)
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My alltime fav is, Does Anybody Really Know What
    Time It Is.
    Man oh man great stuff!
  10. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    There are so many great Chicago songs.

Old Days
    Feelin' Stronger Everyday
    Baby, What A Big Surprise

There's just too many to list...

Terry Kath also sang much of the early Chicago tunes. I also think that Jason Scheff has done a great job filling in for Peter Cetera, he's a great bass player/singer.
  11. There are a lot of great Chicago tunes but I always liked the Beach Boy harmonies on "Wishing You Were Here."
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd have to go with "Only The Beginning" and "25 or 6 to 4".
  13. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think my favourite is the Wake Up Sunshine suite, followed by Moving in, In the Country, and Fancy Colours. The first two sides of that double LP has a lot of good songs! Never cared much for It Better End Soon though.
  14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I love a lot of the early kick-ass Chicago, too many songs to list (before they got so mushy). But "Free" and "Make Me Smile" are my two of my favorites.
  15. Jerry, Jr.

Jerry, Jr.

Jun 7, 2002
    Boston, MA
    At the risk of sounding wimpy, I've got to say that I've always loved "Hard For Me To Say I'm Sorry". Just a beautiful song.
  16. bassbunny

bassbunny Guest

Aug 17, 2002
    Visalia, California
    I met Peter Cetera when i was eleven! He was very nice to the little kid backstage and even spoke Polish to my dad. My favorite, Question 67 and 68.
  17. Probally the only person that like #8.
    Oh, Thank You Great Spirit has a lot of great guitar wanking.

Pretty poor disk but it has a soft spot for me.
  18. Satruday in the Park - very groovy.

If you eave me now - great atmosphere.

Thank you and goodnight.
  19. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Haven't listened to my beloved Chicago records in forever.... I have them all on CD and vinyl. I got my start playing their music.

My favorite early tunes would have to be Make Me Smile, Lowdown, and Questions 67 & 68, though I love everything they did early on. Peter Cetera was great, but Jason Scheff is also an incredible player (and not simply a fill-in for Cetera as some have said), and was the main influence behind my becoming a bass player. The tune I love the most that Jason has done with Chicago is from Chicago 18, called "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now." It's the only one that has electric bass on the whole record if I recall, while the rest is keyboard. Certainly makes a difference. :) I think his best work with the group has NOT been heard however, as the album Stone of Sisyphus was shelved in the early 90's. It was a watershed for the group that Reprise hated, and as such is never has materialized, except in bootleg form and in various tracks released on greatest hits CDs over the past few years. Jason's playing on it was incredible, and my early development came from listening to the copy of that record I had. Man, the memories.... ;)
  20. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    There's just too many good tunes to pick just one...

I totally dig "Introduction".. talk about a powerhouse of a first tune on your first record. Questions 67 & 68, Only the Beginning.

OK, nevermind, I'm just going to cast my vote as "the first 5 albums" :D