your favorite colors for a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, May 3, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my dad is going to build me a new bass.
    it is going to have a maple neck.
    maybe a pick gaurd it depends.
    but what color would you all suggest.
    i can make any color you can think of so just name a color and a pic.
    i just need some colors to think about thanks.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    wood is my favorite bass color. any shade or pattern :)

for paint... Inca Silver is sharp.

If you surf around and/or you can find samples of lots of standard and not so standard painted finishes. Warmoth also has a nice section on wood, describing tone and weight of each type

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the last bass that he built for me is a natrual wood.
    i want something that will stand out and for people to awe at it. right now people do that with the natrual but want something differnt.
    has anyone seen the new fender color "candy tangerine" i was thinking this with a pearloid pickgaurd.
    any thoughts?

4. My dream bass would be violet with matching headstock.

Other colors I dig:

blue violet
    wine red
    cobalt blue
  5. [​IMG]

this is my bass..the colors are very nice (offcourse, else it would not have been my bass :p )

I like wood !!!
    another nice color is the Warwick Thumb :

6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I like those sparkle finishes....I also love wood! I dunno what my favorite is because I havent seen every color yet ;)
  7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My all time favorite paint combination on a bass is olympic white (kind of a cool offwhite) with a read tortoise PG.

Everytime I see a jazz bass like that, I want to buy it.

8. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    IMO, CAR is the best solid finish.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I like a deep, blood red. Y'know, a rich crimson color. Also, a deap jewel blue, or a lush emerald green make me drool a bit.
  10. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    i like black stain with the wood grain showing through.
  11. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    You should check out those paints that change colour from different angles...I forget what there buy them at car shops. Anyways, they are really cool, we worked on aguitar with that type of finish that changed from green to purple from different stuff.

Of course it costs like $400 a pint.
  12. Criminy! I have seen that stuff on cars, though. Might be cool, depending on what colors are available. I guess you could paint your guitar (however much that takes), and then paint some random household objects so you don't waste it. Chairs, cats, children, whatever.

Was it called "flip paint" or am I imagining things again?
  13. BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001

Could be..I don't really remember.
  14. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Gibson offers something like that on their Les Paul style guitars. They call it a "flip flop" finish.
  15. Ernie Ball uses it too, but only on the John Petrucci guitar. They call it "Mystic Dream".
  16. SpeeDFX

Apr 14, 2002
    If I were you, I would try an auto body shop, and see if they will paint it for you
  17. nivagues

Jan 18, 2002
    Hi Steve from Brisbane, Australia.

I have the same leanings as Chas...White with tortoise shell pickguard. Then again, sonic blue with tortoise looks good too.