Your favorite Custom Short Scale String Spacing Please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim T., May 14, 2004.

1. What do you short scale players have and prefer? I'd be especially interested in hearing what CUSTOM higher end short scale bassists are choosing. Did you choose the same spacing (especially on a 5 or more shorty) as your "standard" length basses or did you condense things a bit to look right with a smaller body/narrower neck? I'm hoping to get the body looking a bit larger than usual but still have it look balanced with the short scale neck. I like the sound of large bodies...

I'm most likely choosing 5/8" (+/- 16mm.)for my upcoming Nordstrand single cut six string. I've fingerpicked acoustic guitar forever and I can still slap with 5/8". I can always use my 34"ers for that if I feel too constrained. I have stubby digits!

Please let me know what you play, what you want, what you'd choose custom bass wise.

Thanks. Jim
  2. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I have a custom with pretty much standard, Fender-type spacing (30.75" scale). Had a 32" commissioned with same spacing, but with a Schaller roller bridge, and I adjusted the saddles for a SLIGHTLY tighter spacing, which I prefer. If Schaller makes a 6-string roller bridge, that could cover you from all angles. Sounds like an interesting project!
  3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    what ever spacing my custom kubicki has is great. i cant remember but could easily find out. but im eating right now so no
  4. Offbase and Lyle,
    Thanks for your replies. I have a Schaller roller bridge on a five string. They're nice bridges. I don't think they make a six-they didn't used to but I'll check. Offbase, who built your short scale? I presume it's a four string?

Lyle, I wouldn't want you to have to talk with your mouth full :eek:

Hey, I forgot to mention this, but I'd be interested in string spacing at the nut as well if people are willing to talk about their nuts online. :smug: Does anyone have an Alembic short scale six? I'd like to hear what spacing works for sixes and they're the only ones I know about.

I think it's time for quality, sonic concious short scale 5s and 6s to finally come to the popular arena.
  5. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Michael Dolan did my 4-banger. It was a 32" scale downsized P-Bass copy with an ebony board & real MOP block inlays, the whole bass black. The other custom (Alembic Series I bolt-on copy) was also done by Michael. Both had 1.5" nut widths (which I prefer on any scale, anyways). I wouldn't think a 1.65-1.75 or so would be TOO cramped at the nut, but then again, I'm strictly a 4-stringer. I HIGHLY recommend Michael's work, and you can't beat his prices. He did my P-Bass with all top-notch electronics and hardware for well under $2,000, and I'm talk Schaller rollerbridge, Hipshot Ultralight tuners and 2 SD Precision pickups (one hot and one quarterpounder), painted headstock and neck, etc. He's located in or around Santa Rosa, CA, and got his start at Alembic.
  6. Thanks for your specs. I know Michael's work and read his Dudepit threads from time to time. Glad you like your 32"!

I'm sure it'll be a rare find to hear from multi-strung short scalers but I'm hoping they're out there and will let us know what works for them. I think I know what I want but sometimes feedback gives me an "aha" moment that just makes life worth living! Any imput about why your low B works well would be most appreciated. (Alembics, etc.)

Short scales are generally 30" scales or lower. 32" is usually considered medium scale. I don't think baritone guitar specs will give me what I'm looking for due to smaller string gauges.
    If anyone's played a Linc Luthier Dangerbass strung with BASS strings tuned as a bass, I'd love to hear what you thought.

Keep 'em coming! With more people than ever considering short and medium scales this could be a valuable thread to help them out. Most folks only have access to Mustangs, EB-Os, etc.

7. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Haven't tried the Danger Bass, but Linc makes great basses, he's building my new five, and I have a six already, check out the thread for New Linc Luthier Bass.