Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Favorite Dead Studio Album?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Feb 5, 2005.

1. I searched this and it hasnt been done.

The Grateful Dead are known for their Live albums, but are often overlooked for their studio work, other than American Beauty.

So , whats your favorite Dead studio albums, and why???

Mine , at the moment are Blues for Allah and Wake of the Flood. BFA has this awesome middle eastern , spiritual feel to it that I really dig. WOTF just has great songs overall and much better style than any of the albums before it.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SHAKEDOWN STREET

:bassist: yeah, I know the "Disco Dead" were the cheesiest... but it was my starting point.... jamming hour long versions of "Good Lovin", "Fire on the Mountain" and "I need a Miracle" when I'd just started playing

3. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Blues for Allah, Wake of the Flood, and Mars Hotel are undoubtedly three of my favorites. Terrapin Station has some great stuff too - similar to Shakedown Street in that the production is really slick.

I really like Anthem of the Sun, which is perhaps not exclusively a "studio" album, as it incorporates a lot of live material, but that material has been edited together in the studio, especially on the version of "That's it for the Other One", which also includes the nice prepared piano bit. Miles Davis's Bitches Brew and a lot of the stuff Can were doing (like on Tago Mago) has similar use of the studio as integral to the construction process.

4. I must say that I just got home from Ratdog and I saw this thread. As for my favorite Dead studio album...I guess it's Mars Hotel. This album has always been there for me and it never gets old. Not that any other Dead album does. No album does justice for what the Dead do in concert. Tonight was an excellent show...as always. I just bought it on their live recording series and I can't wait for it to get here.

5. I'm going to say Terrapin only if I can skip over Sunrise. Gawd, that's just unlistenable.

The rest of it is pretty damn cool though, especially the title suite.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Probably in this order for top 3:

Workingman's
    Mars Hotel
    Blues For Allah

7. I love Ratdog!!!

Weir has always been one of my favorite guitar players.

8. Make sure to check out the new 2-disc set Weir Here. I can't get it out of my cd player.