Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Favorite Fretless Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liran, Dec 16, 2001.

1. liran

liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I was just wondering, what is your favorite fretless bass. And explain why it is your favorite.

2. 1. kenneth lawrence chamber brase - i don't think i acutually have to explain why

2. f bass alain caron sig - see above

3. zon sonus custom - see above again

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    This one!:cool:
    To think I almost sold itin a fit of GAS! I'm glad that passed;)
    [​IMG]

4. Of those I've played:

Sadowsky 5 string 24 fret (poly coated board): Fat tone. Very responsive. Records very well. Cuts thru the mix very well. Plays like a dream.

Zon Sonus Custom w/piezo: Very versatile, great sustain, mellow tone, great player.

Zon Sonus Lightwave: Beautiful highs and mids. Extremely responsive. Has this "singing" quality that is very impressive, IMHO.

Ken Lawrence Brase 5. Great "natural" fretless tone. I prefer this bass over an F-bass.

Jerzy Drozd Mastery: Very similar to a Zon Custom in tone and feel.

Fender Jaco Relic: Surprising very good tone and feel. The neck on that bass is outstanding.

I would love to play a Fodera and a Chamberbrase.

Jeff

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Even though I don't have one, I like the Pedullas and the Zons. They make excellent fretless basses.

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Rob Allen Mb-2, anyone? :)

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    When all is said and done, I'll take my '78 PBass with the maple board, '97 American Jazz Deluxe or my '99 Jaco Jazz. Fenders for me. Forced to choose, the Jaco Jazz.

8. I played one once at Guitar Villa, and ran out of the store in a fit of panic that I might be unable to resist buying it if I stayed in the building!

It _sang_.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Wow, another person from around me.
    Cool. :)

10. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Well, I haven't played all that many fretless basses - but I love my Fender MIM fretless jazz. Great neck - smooth, no buzzes even with an exceptionally low action. Great 'mwah' tone.

11. Of the few i've played:

1. Wal Mach 1 Fretless - just the greatest...i could make it sound like an upright WITH ROUNDS!!!!

2. Pedulla PentaBuzz - awesome playability and tone...a lot of fun!

3. Warwick Thumb 5 - Tightest B string i've played to date!

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That I have played -

1) Zon Sonus Custom with piezo.
    2) Rick Turner Renaissance
    3) Zon Sonus Lightwave
    4) Peavey Cirrus
    5) Pedulla Buzz
    6) Rick Turner Electroline

That I want to play -

1) Rob Allen
    2) Sadowsky
    3) F Bass Alain Caron signature
    3) Kenneth Lawrence Chamberbrase
    5) Kenneth Lawrence Brase

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Any Zon
    Any F Bass
    Any Roscoe

Recently: Modulus Quantum, with composite board. Didn't like the fretless I played with a wood board, but the composite boarded one I played recently just killed. I'm hooked...again. :rolleyes:

14. ok, keep in mind that i've only played about six fretless basses in my life (from a $99 pawn shop special to a $2900 pedulla buzz)

the one that I found captivating was a warwick corvette standard. i couldn't imagine more yumminess.:cool:

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Me too even though I own a fretless I have only played a handful...ones I really liked were

U bass
    Sei Flamboyant 5
    Beaver Feltons Sterling

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Le Fay Remington

[​IMG]

Marleaux Consat Signature fretless

[​IMG]

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    :eek:

If only I had money...

18. I must say, my favorite is Brad's ZON ! :D :D

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Rob Allen MB-2. Not particularly acoustic sounding, but I like the all-natural vibe. Well made; wish it costed less. Stay away from the 5 string; the low B is just sad.

Fender Jaco Signature. Not the Relic. The price is highway robbery, but it feels great. Classic tone.

Ibanez Gary Willis. I know; kill me for liking an Ibanez. This one has a great nasal tone and an acoustically resonant body. Points off for flimsiness and a somewhat "disposable" quality.

Tacoma CB10F. Believe it. Had more fun playing this than a lot of pricey fretless solidbody slabs. Feels a bit flimsy, but hey. It's cheap.

I'd like to get my hands on an Alain Caron Signature, but they leave stores at light speed.

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Considering the cost of Fender's American Jazz and Deluxe Jazz, and particularly in light of the "competition," the Jaco Artist bass strikes me as well worth the money. Figure to pay about $1100-$1200 street price for a new one with case. Totally agree re: feel and tone. The neck profile is really special. The fretted version is very good, too.