1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favorite gigs ever (ones you've played)...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Much to my surprise and delight, someone recently uploaded this to YouTube. It brought back some awesome memories.

If you're a Bumblefoot fan, I think you'll enjoy this.

Definitely one of my favorite gigs ever, from Paris 2005. One of my fav tunes is at 40:50.

Please post stories, pix or vids from your favorites.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. Are you playing on this, Joe?

Joe Nerve likes this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Yes.

Edited the title.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  4. Oh man, you're even famouser and more bigge timey than I thought :wideyed:

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    :D It was during one of the high points of my musical life. I don't have any decent videos from those tours, which is why I was stoked that that was posted.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    No videos...
    My favorite gigs have been ones where the transcendent thing happened, where the band and the audience are totally transported, time is altered (without the help of chemical substances), and ecstasy rules. From a player's perspective it's a combination of "wowwww..." "How did we get here?"
    I have 3 that hit that criteria, and several others that came close.
    I feel blessed.

DownhillWillie, nixdad, JRA and 6 others like this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Yah, rockin a hard body too Joe!

Killing Floor, Joe Nerve and Mr_Moo like this.
  8. I know that video of one or two of my performances did exist at one time. But no vids, no concert, right?

Like @kesslari, I had one or two where everything came together and it was inexplicably greater than it had any business being. Those range from busking, to theatre music, to concert stages. Not many, but enough to know how rewarding it can be. However, unlike Joe, I can't honestly say, "We'll always have Paris".

nixdad, JRA, Joe Nerve and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jason Stock

Jason Stock

Aug 13, 2019
    Edmonton
    There have been many favorites over the years. Opening for Nazareth in a local club last minute in the 90's Great show, full road crew (theirs) and awesome guys to hang with after.
    Long weekend at a bar in a party resort town. Rain and cold hit around 8:30 at night, bar was packed....and probably over capacity. We played on stage to an insane and fun crowd.....and they booked us back for long weekends there for many years after.
    More recently, I had to do a one night only show in a tribute act that was put together in under 30 days. Was a lot of work but man, when we pulled it off it felt so good. Also just a few years ago we played a wedding (I know right? but I have done a lot of weddings) and this one was off the charts fun with awesome people, great response and everyone/everything clicked.

Actually, now that I think of it, I have lots of gigs that are my favorites....maybe all for different reasons. I could go on and on.

10. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    An art gallery opening in Denton, TX with a band called the Nuclear Hamsters some time in the early 80s...
    We had played together as a band several times and were just hitting our stride. I don't remember how long we played, but the tunes just flowed together with pure improvisation in between seamlessly linking them together. That was something we had never rehearsed before.

Backing trumpeter Donald Byrd at a small jazz club in Oklahoma (of all places) in 1986...
    I'd played a handful of concerts with him leading up to this, but he was just on fire that night and it pushed the band to play way above our heads. Somebody out there has a tape of this that I'd like to hear.

There are a couple more, but for me, those transcendent, "the music is playing you" gigs rarely happen. They do happen, though, enough to keep me coming back for more.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    A headlining Octoberfest gig out in BFE back in 2017. Playing country music with a tight band to a country crowd. Something like 1500 people in the “cow palace” and all of em were smashed and dancing. It was glorious!

12. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    We opened for the great band “ STUFF” at the club - My Father’s Place - on Long Island. Steve Gadd, Gordon Edwards, Richard Tee, Cornell Dupree. We did this on two different occasions since we had the same manager.

Also notable for me was playing a few shows with Roger Ridley and harmonica great Will Galison.
    Roger is the first singer.

13. A country music festival in France with Jerry Lee Lewis as the headliner. Playing in front of over 15,000 for the first time was a trip!

The Troubadour, opening for North Mississippi Allstars.

Willie's Picnics, one of which was in Luckenbach,Texas.

Smithsonian Folklife Festival

The Blues To Bop Festival in Lugano ,Switzerland was memorable because the promoters brought on all the performers at the end of our set to do an encore together.Nobody could think of anything to play but we had a stage full of great R&B and blues singers so I started "If You Want Me To Stay" by Sly. Three or four of the vocalists started trading verses and eventually I and my drummer pass our instruments onto other players and go hang sidestage.Eventually this winds down and someone starts "Dreams To Remember" by Otis Redding. My drummer and I end up on the front lines singing harmonies, which was a total blast.

I've never found vid of this last event, but here is the last song of our set. My band leader/vocalist's voice had gone out on the flight over and, tho he struggled thru the set with it, he calls for me to sing a couple of verses in this tune. I'd never sung it before but figured why not? :woot:

14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I played a show with an ill-fated metal band in 2007 in a grimy, bombed-out bike co-op to about 50 people and there was a kid playing air guitar in front of me the entire time. He was so stoked, I never forgot it.

15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    The coolest gig in my youth was a pig roast on a far in the country. For anyone familiar with that kind of gig, this was a deluxe one - the stage was 2 (not just 1) hay wagons. At sunset, we were on stage, and there were lines of cars on the road leading into the place - going over hills in both directions. The audience was big enough that they had a beer truck from the local distributor - taps on the side and a few people pouring - supposedly over 700 in attendance. Not the biggest crowd I've ever played to, but given that we were more than 5 miles from a paved road, it was pretty good.

My best musical gigs are happening right now - a couple of the churches I play at, things are firing on all cylinders in terms of the musicians and music. We're also starting to see the congregation return, which is also helpful. Being a Youtube musician was OK for a while, but it'a ain't nearly as good as being in a live band in front of an audience.

nixdad and Joe Nerve like this.
  16. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    First gig with the Zon. Excuse the sound, we were VERY loud.

nixdad and Joe Nerve like this.
  17. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    My last gig back in 2020, October.

JRA, bassliner50 and Joe Nerve like this.
  18. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The gigs closest to my heart were easily the basement shows I played with a punk band. Other cool shows were at an abandoned warehouse that some punks were squatting in and this one show at a skate park.

With my alt-metal band, my favorites were all the camping festivals in upstate NY or western PA we played during the summer. Festival gigs were incredible.

I've played my fair share of "real" stages at "real" venues, but my favorites were definitely the basement/house-party shows.

19. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Same here.

Dincrest and nateh415 like this.
  20. jimmydean

jimmydean

Mar 14, 2009
    Every sell-out gig opening for The Ramones .

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021