Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Favorite Horror Movies-Part 3!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's getting close to Halloween, so I figured I'd keep up my tradition of posting these threads so everyone can give their new imput. Not too much came out this year in terms of good stuff (although I haven't seen the newer Dawn of the Dead or Shaun of the Dead), but a lot of great titles have been re-released on DVD with bonus features. Some of the newer releases that I've either picked up or would like to include:
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre Special Edition (the classic)
    Dawn of the Dead divimax
    Lucio Fulci's Zombie (there's a special edition coming out)
    Serpant and the Rainbow
    and my wife got me the whole colleciton of Nightmare on Elm Streets this past year as well as the Friday the 13th (which unfortunately have no special editions with commentary)

So what are your favorites?

2. Thats a tough one to narrow down to even a short list. So here are my favs that I can just pull off the top of my head.
    +1 to Zombie, a great gore -fest
    The Exorcist, still freaks me out a little even today after having seen it dozens of times
    Friday the 13th parts 1,2, and 3
    The Evil Dead
    Any of the ...Living Dead films (Romero's)
    Thats it...for now

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    The Shining is my favorite of all time.

Other notables:

Anything remotely related to The Evil Dead
    Christine
    Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Return of the Living Dead
    Night of the Living Dead, Lucio Fulci's Zombie
    28 Days
    Candyman
    The Lost Boys
    Salems's Lot
    The Exorcist

I'll think of more later, I'm sure.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Pet Cemetary
    Cat People
    Candyman
    American Werewolf in London

-Mike

5. The wicker Man
    The changling
    Psycho
    Phantasm
    Children of the corn
    Amityville horror
    House of 1000 corpses

Most scary ever Charlots Web, talking spiders! spelling pigs!gives me the hebejevees.......

6. Superbabies
    Superbabies 2
    Gigli
    and anything with Joe Don Baker

7. Only 1 comes to mine
    THE OMEN I even had the nerve to watch it in the dark which was a bad mistake especially since I was only 10 at the time
    Another one is THE IT i think thats what it's called it has that evil clown and his favourite line THEY ALL FLOAT

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Done and done.

9. ROFL

I hate scary movies - last night I was forced to watch "Secret Window", which, in comparison to others listed here, would probably be a bit wussy, but I didn't like that. Also Psycho was ok until Janet Leigh was murdered - I dunno.... I just don't like gore.

CSI's all right though. :meh:

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't know how I forgot American Werewolf in London. -thought the follow ups were forgetable and well, really bad, the original remains a classic.

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    It's just called IT. I loved the book, hated the tv movie.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The movie actually freaked me out pretty bad when I was...8? 9? What with Tim Curry coming up through the drain a couple times. I mean, I watched a few years later when I was all of 12, and didn't understand why it freaked me out at all, but there you have it.

Book was pretty good, though.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I loved the book, It, but hated the movie, as well.

I remember when I was a kid, my sister and I got to stay up late one Friday or Saturday night. There was some TV horror movie on that scared the living feces out of us. I remember that I was more scared than the movie really rated, because Angie was so scared.(She's a year and a half younger than me) And apparently, just sitting next to a terror-stricken person while mildly apprehensive doesn't work.

So, anyway, the movie ends and Mom says bedtime. Angie goes to the kitchen and comes back with the biggest butcher knife we owned. She said it was for protection. Mom disagreed. Much drama and funniness ensued.

14. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    The original Romero living dead movies
    The Thomas harris triogy of Silence of the Lambs, hannibal and Red Dragon

15. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Oh boy. Where to begin?
    Zombie by Lucio Fulci
    Evil Dead trilogy
    Night of the Living Dead
    Dawn of the Dead
    Day of the Dead
    The Return of the Living Dead
    The Dead Next Door
    Dead Alive
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Most of the Halloween series
    Most Friday the 13th movies (especially part III)
    The Omen
    The Exorcist
    The Shining
    Psycho
    Silence of the Lambs
    The Beyond
    The Dead Hate the Living
    28 Days Later
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Thats about all I can think of right now. I really want to see Zombie Planet. More to come when I think of them.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's definitely the funniest one IMO, because of the bad funk music and the fact that the movie was supposed to be in 3D apparently. It's also the first time he puts on the hockey mask. My favorite is part 2 though, because it's the best actual horror movie of them all. It just really had that great late 70s/early 80s horror flick feel to it, like Happy Birthday to Me and Halloween did.

17. In my opinion, "Alien" has to be one of the very best - the sequels got progressively worse - disappointing, but inevitable…

- Wil

18. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    How about John Carpenter's The Thing? One of my favorites.

Tom

19. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

Yes, a very cool, creepy movie. I would like to see this one remade with digital effects. Another creepy one was the first Jeepers Creepers, I thought that one was scary.

20. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa

I liked Alien alot but I liked Aliens even better. the rest of them were lame.