1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your Favorite Jazz Standard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ameshokostreet, Apr 29, 2009.

1. ameshokostreet

ameshokostreet

Jul 10, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I know there isn't a definite list of jazz standards. Anything that is famous enough will do. I just want to know which are the few most popular ones amongst bass players. Might want to post your favorite version of it as well.

My favorite has to be "Somday My Prince Will Come".

2. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    "The Days of Wine and Roses" as performed by the Ray Brown Trio on the CD Black Orpheus. Just a nice version and a great bass solo.

3. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Milestones, by the one and only Miles Davis

4. Oh man...there are just too many. After not having heard it in many years, I recently played "Stella By Starlight" on a gig. I was reminded that it's just an incredible tune, so let's use that one. For today. :D

5. nashdog

nashdog

Jun 1, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hhhmmm, there are so many to choose from... but I would have to say either Wayne Shorter's Armageddon or Wildflower, depending on my mood. I definitely have to go with those two though.

6. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    recorda me- Joe Henderson.

Amazing song by an amazing player.

7. But I miss you most of all my darling...
    When autumn leaves start to fall.

Nat King Cole's rendition FTW. :D

8. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Freddie the Freeloader

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "Autumn Leaves"

10. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Hmm... probably "Round Midnight" by Monk or "How Insensetive" by Jobim.

But to me the whole notion of a tune being a "standard" kinda supersedes the idea that there's a definitive recorded version...it's the tune's universality (and perhaps ubiquity) that makes it a "standard" in the first place, so to claim that So&So's recording is the best just defeats the point. IMHO.

11. I'll always love So What and Giant Steps because they got me into jazz, but I'm going to have to say A Night In Tunisia.

12. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    Lullaby of Birdland.

13. ameshokostreet

ameshokostreet

Jul 10, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Good Jazz musicians are so versatile they can play any kind of tune in anyway they want it. My teacher once showed me how Oscar Peterson played "On The Sunny Side Of The Street" as a ballad I just couldn't believe how beautiful it was. I think it isn't so much about claiming which is the best version of a particular standard is but more about showing others a version which sounds best for you(portrays the feeling, melody of that particular standard well etc), cause there's so many versions that can do that, you can't jsut pick oneand call it definitive .

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love that song, I almost put that instead of Autumn Leaves.

"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" is pretty fantastic also.....

15. The version of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat with Jaco and Joni Mitchell is just beautiful.

16. Body and Soul

17. Jazzomaniac

Jazzomaniac

Nov 16, 2006
    My favorite is "All The Things You Are". My favorite versions
    of this tune are from two bootleg recordings of Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny( one from 1974 and one from 1975) and both contain some of the best live Jaco-solos I have ever heard.

18. bearshimmy

bearshimmy

Feb 14, 2005
    giant steps

19. voodoobassist

voodoobassist Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Tulsa , OK
    +1 to Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, just a great tune that's so full of emotion.

20. "All of me"