1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favorite Lakland DJ4 control settings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vinestreet, Oct 2, 2008.

1. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Okay I love my DJ4 but when it comes to remembering what knob settings get what sounds, I'm as forgetful as a bird who.....oh I forget.

Usually I play through a Line6 Bass Podxt so I leave my knobs alone and let the bass pod do the work in getting me a jazz or a rock sound when the song calls for one. Yes I'm also lazy...but it works. :smug:

When playing straight through a 1x15 with flat EQ, I like the sound of full neck and bridge pickups and tone turned to 8 o'clock (from where you look down at it). I find it gives a rockish sound. For something more jazzy I simply switch off the neck pickup.

I'd love to hear what your favorite settings are and what type of sounds they give you so that I can try them out for size as I'm still figuring out the bass. :)

Please describe the knob positions with a reference of 12 o'clock pointing straight down at your feet. :bassist:

2. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I'll say that for a passive bass, the DJ4 has a remarkable range of tones just by altering the pickup volumes and tone control. For rock I usually back off the bridge pickup about 10% and the tone control only slightly until it mellows out just a bit. For slapping, I run all the knobs wide-open.

For playing Zeppelin, I completely cut the bridge pickup and turn the tone down approximately 50%. The great thing about this bass is that small adjustments can make a big difference in tone.

3. I like to have my volume knob at 12:47pm, when pointing S SW, while the bridge knob is at 4:40 with the tone knob facing my left ear... sometimes I'll point it at my right ear, depending on what mood I'm in.

That is if the instrument has the stock knob placements. I usually like to fiddle with them myself and face them towards Santa at high noon, The North Pole.