1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favorite Led Zeppelin song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Artobass

Artobass

Jan 21, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Geez...just one? Good times bad times! I'll have a different favorite by this afternoon. I love all of Led Zeppelins songs.

2. Any song that allows JPJ to really groove and show off his bass skills. From the studio albums, definitely Ramble On and What Is And What Should Never Be.

Isolated bass of both those tracks:

http://youtu.be/3ANwQW8aspI
    http://youtu.be/aYzjH7DciiA

The Song Remains The Same live album has some great bass moments as well. Dazed & Confused and Whole Lotta Love have some killer jam sections.

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Not sure I could be so precise. Probably an album cut off either III or Physical Graffiti.

4. Eric66

Eric66

Sep 23, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Too hard to choose. Let's say No Quarter. Because of the first distorted power chord Jimmy plays. Goose bumps every time!

5. Yeah, I really dig that acoustic version. Nice tip of the hat to the band that is probably their biggest influence.

6. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    In The Light.

7. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Same here.

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I have liked LZ since their first album issued. Followed them a bit less with each album after the second and quite honestly became much more interested in actual American R&B than the various British interpretations of it.

That said, I have come to appreciate LZ much more as I am getting older. They just seem to me to sit apart from most of the British artists. Great stuff.

So, there are quite a few tunes of theirs I enjoy a lot.

A few standouts in my mind are:

The bass line on The Lemon Song is outstanding.

The Ocean is pure funk.

Black Dog is a killer.

And while the whole group is talented; really, Jimmy Page is the guy who knocks me out with his musicality. He really got the content from the earlier R&B cats. Page, and Beck also, are the two British cats in that blues oriented school of British rock who really are cats in their own right.

9. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    You might as well ask me to pick my favorite Queen, Rush, Yes, Kansas, Pink Floyd or King's X song. Not possible. :meh:

10. This is a strong second for me, but my absolute favorite is Friends.

11. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    There are so many but..
    I'll have to say " When the Levee Breaks"

12. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    You posted the same link twice :)

13. +1
    I crank that song every time it comes on!

For JPJ bass groove though I would also say "The Lemon Song".

14. basschanges

basschanges Unconditionally Loving Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    This^ they might as well make some bass instructional books about this song alone, seeing as how JPJ effectively demonstrates at least 50 ways of playing tasty blues lines.

15. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    the crunge is my favorite. take it to the bridge the confounded bridge. LOL

16. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    I know BP devoted like 1/5th of an issue to it in the 90s or early 00s. Full transcription plus analysis. Truly epic.

And like a lot of folks...yeah this is Zep, can't just pick one.

17. Count me in as another who just can't narrow it down to one. There have been so many good ones listed here, best I can do is add another that hasn't been mentioned - "Thank You". Just a beautiful tune.

18. Black Dog

19. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    see what you think of my cover of it--- Ten Years gone- although my playing wasn't quite as good as it is now (and I should have used a pick like he plays it with on the recording)

www.youtube.com/mharclerode

20. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    That probably would be my first choice as well...though I also agree with everyone who said you can't pick just one!