Your Favorite MesaBoogie Amp is ( ______ ) ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tumbao, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    ? ? ?

...maybe I'm just looking a justification to get the WalkAbout... ;)
  2. jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    sorry man, 400+ for this boy. but the walkabout looks cool, and it's a hell've lot lighter than the 400+. if it's enough power, why not?
  3. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    Bass 400+ rules. The Walkabout looks cool and sounds okay but I dont ever see myself buying one.
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    My Buster 2x10 Wedge-(w/ Diesel 1x15 cabinet)
    I think the circuit with its (6) 6L6GC power tubes may be the equivalent to the old Mesa 400-
    at any rate-I had a WalkAbout prior to getting the Buster- No way will you be disappointed-I think the M-Pulse series is top-rate.
  5. 400+ ! They slay everything except for old SVTs! :D It's a seriously savage amp. I'm sure the walkabout sounds good, I've never come across a Mesa that didn't. I have seen evidence of QC slipping lately, in the form of many Nomad guitar amps going down. This may just be a symptom of that particular model of course, historically they've been pretty good.

LarryJ: The Buster's power section is actually 1/2 of the 400+ power section. The old 400s had 6 6550s. The 400+ has a beefier power supply and uses 12 6l6s. Neither amp is near 400W (or 500 as claimed for the 400+), though.... Not that it matters because they go plenty loud and sound great!
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    easily the 400+

never owned one, but have spent some time with these bad boys in the past
  7. I never heard a Mesa amp I did'nt like...I own the m-pulse 600. but if your lookin to get the walkabout,I think you will be happy with's kinda like a scaled down 600 but EXTREMELY portable.(theres another thread on this-m-pulse vs.m2000)but I must admit, I'm really lusting after the all tube monster400+...don't get me wrong,I really like my 600...maybe run my 2x15 w\400+ and the 2x10w\600...oh no...feelin gas...gotta go!
  8. 400+ without a doubt.
    My spare 400+ is for sale. See my add in the for sale string.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The Rect-O-Verb. I just like the name. I think their bass amps blow.
  10. GO FOR IT! Of course, I'm a Walkabout owner. Great amp, plenty loud for small/medium rooms. Very warm, the parametric section offers tons of flexibility. All this and 13 pounds. Sold my Trace to buy this amp. Only thing I have heard that sounded as good to my ear was an Eden.
  11. The M-pulse series is IMHO awsome, and I doubt many people have actually had the chance to try them out yet, seeing as they are fairly new, and getting snatched up out of the stores before you can try them out. (Keep in mind that I live in the middle of Saskatchewan:rolleyes: :D :cool: )
    Suggest buying it.
  12. If you're looking for portability with great tone and good power get the WalkAbout. If you need great tone AND tons of power get the M-Pulse 600. Of course if you need that old school tone get the 400+.

Oh yeah, Munjui is right, Mesa bass amps do blow, they blow Edens outa the water. :D Sorry Munji... I couldn't resist!
  13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Yeh, I'm curious-Why do they blow?
    I've played Eden (aka SWR) & they are excellent product-For my taste, a little sterile, but that's my choice.
    So now we come to Mesa, who pretty much hand-builds their amps, provides great service, etc.
    But the TONE- In the case of the 400+, we're talking about an all-tube circuit powered by (12)
    6L6GC power tubes, that puts out some of the most pure sounding, powerful headroom available.
    My (sadly discontinued) Buster- I've never played a better voiced amp- It has the richest thickest tone
    you can produce-EVERYTHING across the range is there, with amazing resonance. With it's integrated 2x10 EVM combined with another EVM Diesel 15"
    every rhythm section I've worked with has been blown away by the sound- Bass, Middle, Treble-
    No BS, simple pure tone augmented by an intelligent 7-band graphic EQ that tweaks it all in.
    All-tube perfection, resonance, tone, & power.
    Now the M-Pulse-An excellent hybrid with great fundamental tones, excellent EQ, compression, build quality, etc.
    I can understand playing them and preferring another make-There are lots of options-That's why I own Ampeg &G-K as well, for different purposes,
    & that's why I have the jones for a bout 3-4 more
    BUT- you say MESA "blows"?
    Get a life!

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Walkabout:D Great sounding amp. Incredibly versatile, and light. Though some think it is an exact copy of the WT300/400, it doesn't sound anything like it. Go for it!
  15. Guys...please; DO NOT get Munji started. He will bring nothing more to the discusion than he already has stated.
  16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Until I tried a Walkabout.

I absolutely love it. I thought I'd be giving up tone for conveniece (I was coming from an Aguilar DB750), but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Leaving everything on the amp flat, and everything on the bass flat, I get a tone that is true, and doesn't get lost in the mix.

Before I bought the Mesa, I tried every small amp I could get my hands on. It was far, and away, the winner (to my ears).

Some people like Eden. I, for one, think they sound like poo. YMMV.
  17. Ian Hall

Ian Hall

May 31, 2002
    bassmonkee, you'd better watch out- once upon a time I said edens sound like crap(instead of poo, which is, by the way, very similar) and the entire message board jumped on me. :D

I've since then learned to be vewy vewy careful in the amps forum:rolleyes:
  18. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Eden-sounds good
    Mesa-Sounds good
    Ampeg-sounds good
    Aguilar, etc. etc. etc.

As an instrumentalist, I take considerable effort to obtain a "sound". Just as an upright player may look
    for that perfect instrument, part of our arsenal as a Fender bass player is the amplification we use.

After A-B'ing & careful consideration, & tweaking
    the bass and amp, when you finally get a desired tone out of your unit, it's a good thing!
    So- nobody should troll around & say in effect
    "Your rig sucks"- You might say "I have found my sound using another choice of gear",
    that's perfectly cool.
    UNCOOL---Your (choice of):
    Equipment/Musical Style/Concept of playing the
    instrument, etc,Blows!
    Or to put it another way: Yeh, it's your opinion-
    who appointed you spokesman?
    OK, I'm done!:D
  19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, Larry, I agree with you. Everything has it's place, and someone who likes it (That's why I said YMMV). I just figured if someone could say Mesa blows, I could bring the balance back to 0 by saying Eden sounds like poo. ;)

While I've never played through an Eden rig that I've been particularly fond of, it's obvious lots of people feel differently. Which is cool. I was just feeding the fire, as it were.

What can I say? Slow day at work....
  20. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    400+. were i to get an alltube head, that'd be it.

i prefer SWR stuff to all their other stuff though. (and my current rig to the 400+ for the slight tone and large portability advantages)