Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Favorite Motown

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Rope, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    I by no means want to re-create the Jamerson vs. Kay vs. Babbit threads, but I wonder this:

What are your favorite Motown bass lines.

I am partial to a couple of Stevie Wonder tunes, "For Once in My Life" and "I Was Made to Love Her." Whoever if playing is just getting off.

For simply propelling a song along, I have to go with "Getting Ready" and "Shotgun".

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Bernadette rips.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, that's my favorite one. So melodic and driving.

I also love "What's going on", just a great laid back groove, and 'I was made to love her' is a classic of course.

4. Gotta agree too; Bernadette, What's going on and I was made to love her are probably my top three.

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My favorite Motown song is "Cloud Nine" by the Temptations.

I don't know who plays what on that song, but it is great!

6. Russ B.

Russ B.

Jun 13, 2003
    Erie, PA
    I grew up with a lot of the Motown tunes, and I always dug the Bass parts. The funny thing is I thought they were being played by different guys who all had the same "style". It wasn't until recently that I heard of the "Funk Brothers." Now it all makes sense that all those great lines were being played by the same guy. I say that because his playing is like a great artist- he has a certain style all his own. Anyway, some of my favorites: 'I was made to love her", "For once in my life","What's goin' on","Ain't nothin like the real thing","Bernadette", " I'm gonna make you love me", "Reflections","Heard it through the grapevine"(both versions),"Ain't no mountain high enough", and one of the most difficult Bass parts I have ever heard played on Top 40: "It's a shame" by the Spinners.

7. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Yes! Cloud Nine has always been tied with Bernadette as my favorite.

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    My Girl.

When someone asks me what bass is about, I tell thenm to listen to that song. Those 3 notes define the song, they might as well define bass guitar.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    How much time you got???

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    All night :)

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I'd go for Bernadette or What's Going On myself.

12. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    reach out (i'll be there) has got to be my ABSOULUTE favorite bass line ever...of course the song is probably my fave as well...

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I can't possibly pick a favorite, but I'd choose between "Bernadette", "what's going on", and "For once in my life"

14. Since I'm such a Jamerson fanatic, I can't really narrow it down to one:

What's Going On
    What's Happening Brother
    Reach Out (I'll Be There)
    It's a Shame
    Darling Dear