Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your Favorite Nostalgia Music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Lately, very little new music has had much appeal for me, or if it does, the appeal is short lived and I tire of it after a few listenings. I mean I've been really jaded for about two years.

So more and more I have been returning to the music of my long ago past. I have found renewed enjoyment in World War II big bands such as Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey and Benny Goodman, singers such as Ella Fitzgerald and Sinatra and music of the mid-forties and early fifties. I also enjoy late fifties doo wop, even though I never thought I'd live to the day that I would enjoy doo wop again.

I realize many of you are much younger, so nostalgia music for you would be quite different. If any of you ever get a whim to listen to "nostalgic" music, what do you like to hear?

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm not sure..I have been listening a bit to Charlie Parker, Frank Sinatra and Johnny Cash lately, and they are old so I guess that counts..

3. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I'm only 18, so my nostalgia music is listening to stuff like Gravity Kills, Acid Bath, and Suicidal Tendencies. And I'm not sure how old Marillion is but listening to their music always causes nostalgia for me:) Would the Beatles count, because I listen to them sometimes.

4. The Police, Adam & The Ants, Visage,...all the stuff that was en vogue when I started to learn playing instruments :)

5. Nostalgic Bebop: John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Coleman Hawkins
    Nostalgic Jazz / Torch: Ella Fitzgerald,
    Nostalgic Blues: John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters
    Nostalgic Rock: John Mayall, Jeff Beck (early stuff), Yardbirds
    Nostalgic R&B: Any old Motown, Chess or Stax artists

I like modern players who emulate (or cover) those styles as well, they have a nostalgic feel to me. I particularly like a couple of Toronto singers in the torch/Jazz style - Laura Hubert and Molly Johnson.

All of these remind me of peaceful happy times in my younger life.

6. SP's bullet with buttefly wings is always nostalgic for me. when i was in third grade, i'd always rock out playing air guitar to that song in the halls at school with this kid Jim. he was the guy who first got me into nirvana and SP and all that good good stuff.

7. Dave Brubeck comes to mind.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Burt Bacharach songs. Any early 60's AM Easy Listening Adult POP. Roger Miller, Johnny Cash.

Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent type stuff.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    BeBop or Bluegrass

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    '70's funk & soul. (Maze, Spinners, Al Green, P Funk, etc.)
    '80's Brit pop. (Blowmonkeys, Level 42, General Public, etc.)

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

A couple of weeks ago PBS ran a concert of the BeeGees. It was filmed before Maurice died. I had forgotten just how many hits they had made. Listening to their music again was definitely a walk down Memory Lane.

12. Sixties
    Original Psychedelic Era 'Garage-ish' Bands

Dirty Water - The Standells
    Pushin' Too Hard - The Seeds
    Psychotic Reaction - Count Five
    Baby Please Don't Go - The Amboy Dukes
    Incense And Peppermints - Strawberry Alarm Clock
    Who Do You Love - The Woolies
    I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night - Electric Prunes
    Hey Joe - The Leaves

13. Hey Donne - GREAT list; I had forgotten about most of those!

[​IMG]

14. Nostalgia for me is mid-90s alternative rock. I started listening to music in '94, so naturally I think those are the golden years (although the 60s weren't too shabby either :bassist: )

Green Day - Dookie
    Offspring - Smash
    Weezer - the blue album
    STP - Purple
    Everclear - Sparkle and Fade
    Collective Soul - S/T
    etc etc etc...

Mmm...memories. I was in middle school at the time, and middle school kinda sucked, but at least the music was good. It's been downhill since '97 hit. :(

15. Weezer's "Blue Album" is great, yes! And so is Collective Soul's early stuff.
    Another band that had quite a few good songs back then were Better Than Ezra, in my opinion.

16. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Yep.. love me some Glen Miller, Basie, Ellington, all that great stuff!!

One of my most favorite memories from my military service is finding this "hole-in-the-wall" bar in Rhodes Greece and dancing with this beautiful girl to Miller's "Moonlight Serenade"!!!