1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your favorite overdrive pedal for tube amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NitzThompson, Jul 19, 2012.

1. NitzThompson

NitzThompson

Jul 19, 2012
    Hey everyone my name's Nate and this is my first thread on the forum. I've done a ton of reading these forums and I finally decided to just become a member and join in on the fun!

Anyway I have a big ol' tube rig that I'm very happy with and it's giving me a tone that I really like but I want to add an overdrive pedal to get some grit and grind when I click it on. What I want to know is what is your favorite dirt pedal through your ampeg svt or other big tube rig?

I would like something that can work well with the tubes if that's possible. Thanks in advance for help everyone!

2. Check out the Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B. with the internal trim pot you can get some nice grind and the volume boost will make your SVT grind nicely.

3. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    I am enjoying my Dr. Scientist - The Elements a lot into my mesa 400+ for a bit of grind. I tried the Darkglass B3K into it and found that it really didn't mix well with my head.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    keep the suggestions coming, i use my d180 for the od, but it'd be nice to have a pedal option too

5. NitzThompson

NitzThompson

Jul 19, 2012
    It's interesting to hear you say that about the B3K JBNeedsBeer because from samples that I've heard it sounds awesome and I'm pretty interested in trying it! But who knows. Anyway if anyone has tried any of these options please give me your reviews of them.

- Sansamp Bassdriver
    - Darkglass B3K
    - xotic BB bass preamp

I'm also interested in trying the Fulltone Bassdrive but it would be hard to get my hands on one of those eh?

6. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    The Darkglass was great into my B15N, it added a great quality dirt to the signal. I just felt that it didn't pair well with the mesa 400+ and it almost sounded like it dropped the output a bit or cut some frequencies. It is a great pedal and I will probably give it another go later on, but the Elements seems to work better for me and my band's ridiculous wall of noise.

I would limit using the Sansamp Bassdriver to solid state amps since it is trying to emulate tube breakup.

There are so many great OD's for grit out there, I'm sure you will here a good 50 different recommendations. That being said, from listening to your band's style (I dig it btw), you might be better suited with just cranking those tubes and letting your amp do the work or using the elements. You already got a solid tone on the second set of songs btw.

7. I use a B3K with my Orange AD200B, it Slays!
    I often get compliments about how huge sounding my bass tone is.
    My experience with the B3K is that it sounds good playing at home, and amazing in a band mix.
    The B3K doesn't cut any frequencies, it is voiced to accentuate the high mids. Which definately sounded funny to me at first, but somehow that is what does the magic for slicing through a band mix.

8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    B3K and NOW Okko Basstard.

The Okko is amazing. I LOVE it.

I want a B7K though.

9. NitzThompson

NitzThompson

Jul 19, 2012
    Thanks a lot JB and others. The first set of our songs wasn't me on bass but the newer ones were so thank you very much. We only recorded them with our friend who is going to school for producing and I didn't have any of my rig. We are recording end of summer though and it should be huge sounding. For the new tunes I will make sure to try cranking up the tubes.