1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Your favorite pedal to boost your clean/round tone into slightly broken up territory?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigN8bass, Apr 20, 2021.

1. BigN8bass

BigN8bass Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2015
    Hello fellow tone seekers,

I'm sure this has been covered many many times before, but I haven't seen many definitive answers in the search.
    What are your favorite pedal/pedals to get your clean tone into a slightly broken up, overdriven, hairy... whatever adjective you like, sound? One that still keeps your tone warm and fairly round.
    Thanks

2. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    CCCP Bug Caster.

BigN8bass likes this.
  3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Valvecaster
    Transboost
    Spaceman Saturn VI
    Southampton 5th Gear V2
    Rodenberg LDP
    Jext Telez Uni-Drive,

off the top of my head.

cataract and BigN8bass like this.
  4. EarthQuaker Devices Westwood.
    the preamp is very bass-friendly and you can dial the drive right into the sweet spot for mild breakup.

Bassman474 and BigN8bass like this.
  5. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    The Darkglass B3K & SansAmp VT Bass are my go-to dirt boxes.

neuromancer, FunkHead, five7 and 2 others like this.
  6. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I’m using a Boss BB-1X Bass Driver and a tc electronic Spark booster on my board. I would also recommend the One Control BJFe Blackberry Bass Overdrive.

SlowpokeJoe and BigN8bass like this.
  7. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Either a Spark, or a Broughton FlipTop Boost.

LukeSlywalker and BigN8bass like this.
  8. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

I use a Darkglass. I own both the BK3 and the Microtubes X7. I use that one more. I add a Mooer Shimverb micro reverb pedal and I'm set. The reverb (just a touch of it...) adds SO much to it. Really fattens up the sound and always reminds me of the Stanley Clarke quote, "The tone lingers long after the show" at least it seems that way.

neuromancer likes this.
  9. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Sansamp Para Driver
    Solidgoldfx Beta MKII

Fenwick and BigN8bass like this.
  10. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    Right now I am using a Dr Scientist The Elements.
    Others I have enjoyed:
    Blackstone Appliances Mosfet OD
    Way Huge Pork Loin

BigN8bass likes this.
  11. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    Fulltone Fat Boost 3. No one talks about it but it's amazing for the OPs query. The drive knob is readjusting the bias and there is a low cut to kill the flub. It's a JFET circuit and is designed to be a class A amp. Plus it's crazy loud at 36 db increase... it's American hand made to boot. Under $100 used. Mr. Fuller sounds like a man I wouldn't support by buying new directly from the company which is nice because this pedal is discontinued from what I can see

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    BigN8bass likes this.
  12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Sfx micro red dragon if you can find one. I've got a bunch of pedals but that's the one I keep coming back to.

MikroKev and BigN8bass like this.
  13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Also the exotic RC bass boost is a close second place behind the Red dragon

BigN8bass likes this.
  14. Hammerfield

Hammerfield

Aug 1, 2016
    Argentina
    -Sansamp VT Bass deluxe, if I want that Ampeg flavour,
    OR
    -JHS Pulp n Peel V4 (with the drive engaged)

DrMole, Killing Floor and BigN8bass like this.
  15. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Spaceman Saturn V. Always on my board.

bharris, Lammchop93 and BigN8bass like this.
  16. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I bought a Spaceman Effects Saturn VI a few weeks ago and have an [sfx] Micro Red Dragon that I was lucky enough to stumble across about a year ago.

My band is still on COVID break but hopes to start up soon once we've all been fully vaccinated (drummer and I have each had our first Pfizer vaccine, everyone else is done). So I haven't heard either in a band context yet, only practicing at home. But, based on how they sound so far, I've got pretty high expectations for both. They seem to do an excellent job at light breakup.

I also have - and like - the EHX Bass Soul Food. I know most TB'ers despise it, but I find it to be a pretty nice light OD. It can't do heavy OD or distortion, but I have no need for them.

EDIT: I should have also mentioned a Bearfoot FX Blueberry, which I recently replaced with a Bearfoot FX Queen Bee. Even though it's not currently on my board. I'm still keeping the Blueberry. It's another pedal that does low gain OD very well. Just be aware that can be a pretty dark sounding pedal. I like that, but found it tough to dial out that darkness when I wanted to and bought the Queen Bee to see it can do everything the Blueberry does and more (still undecided, and might also try a One Control Blackberry). However, it does what it does well enough and I like the its tone enough to have no interest in selling it.

17. Bassman474

Bassman474

Sep 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Unfortunately there's no real definitive answer due to the suggestive nature of effects, but I'm sure you'll get loads of good recommendations!

I second the ehx bass soul food, and also recommend darkglass vintage microtubes or tc mojomojo depending on your budget.

BigN8bass likes this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have a Way Huge Pork and Pickle that's the closest thing I've tried (ad I've tried a LOT of things) to the sound in my head (which is what you're describing). The Pork side is an overdrive that can do what I think you want, the "Pickle" side is a whole other thing - not useful to me, but that combo pedal is much smaller than the normal Pork Loin, so combo it is.

BigN8bass likes this.
  19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    EHX Bass Soul Food and it has a blend control!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021