Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your favorite rock instrumentals?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Aug 26, 2001.

1. The show choir at my school that I'm playing bass in is letting the band do a band number, which will probably be an instrumental. If you guys could name some good rock recordings, it'd be helpful.

And please, nothing impossible. ;)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...them how 'bout "Mission Impossible"?
    It would be cool if you could figure out how to tie the 'original' version's 5/4 into the more 'Rocked-out' version of 4/4.

Edgar Winter Group's "Frankenstein" would take some work...my high school garage band did a decent facsimile of the tune, so it's not "impossible". ;)

3. Two very cool ideas. That actually kind of funny that you recommended Frankenstein, because our keyboardist really wants to play that song. I know a guy in my area who works on guitars (the guy is a genius. He'll make your guitar sound better then it ever did) who knows Edgar & Johnny Winter personally. His son played bass with them for a while.... he's a very interesting guy. I was going to ask him how I'd be able to get a score of Frankenstein, but I didn't want to make it seem like I was using him as a middle man, you know?

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If your guitarist is up to it, I'd suggest Satch's "Always With Me, Always With You." It's a perennial fave.

5. I like a lot of Jeff Beck songs, like "Blue Wind" and his his cover of Mingus's "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat". Pink Floyd had a few instrumentals as well.

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    How about Lord Only's "Versatile Residue"? ;) :D

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The Ventures.

8. Does anyone know of the name of the instrumental off of King Crimson's Red?

9. Here's the situation with the guitar players: one of them is a very good lead player, but he couldn't play rhythm if his life depended on it. The other is a punker thats obsessed with power cords.

However, we have a very good drummer & keyboard player, and a skilled bassist :D

10. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Reading your last post makes me think that The Vandals "Dance of the Sugerplum Fairy" would be good, except theres only one place the keyboard player could play so maybe its not good...

11. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Probably "Fracture".
    Other really good instrumentals would be:
    "Peaches en Regalia" - Frank Zappa
    "The Water Song" - Hot Tuna
    "Outward Bound" - Wishbone Ash
    "Deception of the Thrush" - King Crimson
    "Brush with The Blues" - Jeff Beck

Actually, both Jeff Beck and King Crimson do a lot of instrumental work that you can choose from.