Your Favorite steak and trimmings

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 30, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I personaly like a nice marrinated steak cooked medium well with roasted peppers onions and mushrooms with a side of garlic mashed potatos.I find and high quality beer or ale goes very well with a meal like this. How do you like your steak?.
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Filet mignon medium. I've heard that Ruth's Chris Steakhouse has declined in quality but I went there once years ago and it was fantastic. Every bite of everything I had was incredible. The filet was perfectly cooked and so tender and good, the potatoes were great, the cheesecake was the creamiest I've ever had. Mmmm...there's a local place here called Diamondback's that's pretty darn good too...expensive though.

I made some marinated skirt steaks two weeks ago that were really good as well.

brad cook
  3. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    It doesn't get any better. I like mine with sides of mased potatos and honey glazed baby carrots.
  4. Filet mignon, medium well, with asparagus or creamed spinach, and garlic mashed potatoes. And a scotch. :cool:
  5. I like a think round of beef on the grill (medium-well) with pepper sauce, roasted onions and mushrooms, an oven-baked potato with butter (not margarine), and boiled carrots and yellow and green fava beans.

This thread makes me hungry. *drools*

Edit: A glass of good red wine goes well with that.
  6. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Filet mignon on the grill (medium rare), brushed with a little olive oil, a little fresh garlic & black pepper.

Roasted asparagus in tarragon butter

Horseradish mashed potatoes

A nice cabernet

Wow, just typing this out is making me hungry.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh and another thing....NO GEORGE FOREMAN GRILLS!!

brad cook
  8. A rib steak cooked medium rare or sometimes rare rubbed with montreal steak spice. HP sauce on the side or A1 if that's all there is. Hmm.....I think it's time to fire up the ole bbq pretty soon. :hyper:
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If you have to put sauce on an already cooked steak then you need some better steaks! A1 is teh yuck! :spit:

brad cook
  10. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

at Mortons of Chicago, with Layenaise, Hennesse & Coke.
    Wesley R.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    A 2 inch thick, bacon wrapped filet mignon (grilled, of course) with melted bleu cheese, a grilled garlic-rubbed portobello, and a twice baked potato... all chased with a good Zinfandel and a Monte Cristo #5 cigar. Yummy!!!

I've tried Ruth Chris, but my favorite is Morton's...too bad I don't live anywhere near one, but here in Des Moines (the corn and beef capital of the world), I'm lucky to have some real heavyweight steakhouse in town!!!
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    filet mignon (medium) with garlic-y green beans and mashed potatoes.
  13. New York Strip, Porterhouse, Delmonico, or simple Sirloin from jsut about any non corporate establishment in Kansas or Colorado. No sauces, just salt, maybe a little garlic.
  14. Prime Rib done medium. I love Prime Rib.

There's a place near my folks' house called "Walden's. A Supper Club." Really great Prime Rib there.

Another place that had an excellent, and massive, Prime Rib was Brett Favre's Steakhouse shortly after they opened.

Mashed potatoes with the skins on, a bit of chives and a little bit of sour cream in them. Mmmm.
  15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I'll pick the Porterhouse, because you get the filet *plus* the strip! - medium rare, please - just pepper and butter perferred, although various glazes and rubs are not wasted on me =0)

I had a big-ol'-filet at Ruth's Chris just a couple months ago and it was perfection, as was everything else there - I don't think it has declined at all myself.
  16. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    I think the entire state of Wisconsin reigns as Supper Club/Prime Rib Mecca. (I won't even think to derail this thread with WI's other gift to mankind, the Friday Night Fish Fry) ;)

There's a place in Delavan called Ralph's that does a mean Prime Rib special on Saturdays. My mouth is watering just thinking of it.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like a T-bone or a porterhouse.

Garlic, olive oil, a few spices, and fresh ground peppercorn blend.

Cooked medium rare, over good charcoal or wood(hickory or mesquite).

A salad with a good mix of fresh greens, roma tomatoes, purple onions, and cucumbers, with Ken's Steak House greek dressing.

A large sweet vidalia or Texas 1015 onion, wrapped in foil, cooked in the oven with salt, pepper, a little butter, olive oil, and garlic powder, until the onion is almost melting.

Best restaurant steak I have ever had was believe it or not at Outback Steakhouse. 2 or 3 years ago they had a 'Prime steaks in Prime Time' menu with filet, sirloin, ribeye, rib steak, and prime rib.

I got an 18 oz ribeye that was cooked to perfection. Medium rare inside, seared on the outside, with just the right coating of salt, pepper, and herbs/spices.

I agree with Brad on the steak sauce thing. I hate it when I grill up some good steaks, and my wife and kids slather them with A-1 or Heinz 57. A good steak, cooked and seasoned properly, is insulted when you pour sauce on it.
  18. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    Ribeye my friends.......... ribeye. Marbling is your friend.........

Grilled @ about 700 degrees......... medium....... steak cut french fries drizzled in olive oil............fresh asparegas off the grill........ Yellowtail merlot........bananas foster for dessert.......... long nap............
  19. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    yeah, i'll go ribeye. a little olive oil with montreal steak seasoning cooked to medium-rare. add a little butter while its still popping grease. some cheesey garlic bread, summer crisp corn and bbq beans. i'll take a killians or a guiness with mine.

ironically, this is very close to what i had last night for dinner. :)