Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

your favorite stereo speakers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 22, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What are your favorite speakers? I swear by the Klipsch Chorus's we have in the living room. They're some of the best "traditional" cabs ever made, IMO. You? Do you like the satellite-and-subs concept, or do you prefer the older style "boxes"?

2. I bought a pair of Klipshorns twenty years ago - I still have them -

Attached Files:

3. My favourites right now are the Avantgarde Acoustics range.
    The picture of the black speakers attached shows my Unos.

Although just lately I'm being tempted by the Duevel Bella Lunas :eek:

Attached Files:

4. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
  5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I'm pretty satisfied with my 7.1 JBL Northridge series setup. I have the 3 way center, 7 surround speakers and an SVS 25-31PCi subwoofer (AMAZING subwoofer... just insane). Next step is to move my front left and right speakers to presence and purchase 2 tower speakers of sorts... probably JBL Northridge, unless something else strikes my fancy.

PS: Anyone try the new SACD/DVDA stuff on your surround setups? I just listened to REM - Automatic for the People and DAMN does it sound great. Next purchase is the Blue Man Group DVDA.

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    My dad has some real nice Linn Keilidh (sp?) speakers, run in active mode with his full Linn system. He also has some Tukans at our country house which sound great for small cabinets.
    For a budget speaker, the PSB alpha B speakers are practically impossible to beat for 300$.
    In the "so ridiculously expensive I could buy a decent car instead" category, I gotta say the Sonus Faber Stradivari are disgustingly beautiful.

7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    I think that the SACD thing has been practically dropped from most manufacturers of both discs and players, cuz it was just not catching on.
    The high-end audiophile market really is a niche market, and people weren't ready to pay the extra few hundred dollars for SACD capability (or DVD-audio for that matter), as well as the fact that most audiophiles prefer stereo to 5.1 surround. And supposing you have the frontend for SACD or DVD stuff, you gotta dish out for 5 speakers instead of only 2 (if not 6, including a sub). So in the end, for the same money, you'd get better sound from a stereo system than a surround one, just cuz you have to pay for 3 or 4 less speakers. Too bad, cuz stereo SACDs really sound amazing.

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think it very much depends on the room.. a small speakers and a sub -system would be fine for a small room (and/or with heavy interior decoraton demands from the wifey :ninja: ) where there's table or something where you can put the satellites and then find a good spot for the sub so that the room don't affect the sound but on the other hand, if you have a bit larger, mostly empty room, it's prolly easier to do with a couple of floorstanding behemoths.

I like Gradient's stuff when it comes to more traditional amp-and-speakers higher end hifi, or for more professional use or for those who want theirs active, there's always Genelec.. both fine Finnish companies - I think high end hifi is bit like boutique basses: when the cost comes up, you tend to prefer local "freaks" to build your stuff :)

Also, on a budget, Paradigm's stuff has been quite nice to my experience!

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Audiophiles prefer stereo? Why would that be?

10. 2 small JBLs and 2 big Boston Accoustics, circa 1970's. with a NAD amplifier. Great sound. Much better than anything I could buy today.

11. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Cause most times they're grumpy old men. Some also contend that under most circumstances, you'll be listening to a band playing in front of you, not around you, so a stereo system would recreate those circumstances more faithfully.
    Also, if you're using mono amplifiers, you'll need 5 of them instead of 2, as well as a 5.1 decoder, which obviously brings the price of a system up.

12. Yeah but more expensive is better :D :D :D

I guess it all depends on how how your used to hearing the music. If you've listened to a Led Zep album on the same "Stereo" for the past 20 years and then heard the same on a highend 5 channel whatever, you may or may not like it.

Some of us fear change , As for me I'm always open to new stuff .

13. My favorite, since Im still in high school its nice to me, is the Onkyo 650 watt surround sound system. For the money, if youre looking for a whole system, check them out at circuit city. They get stupid loud, sound great, and the sub hits quite nicely.

Edit: OK, i saw it said stereo speakers so I will say the fronts in my system, 2 5-1/4" speakers + tweeters in each box. Lots more bass than youd expect from 4 5 inch speakers.

14. I know the name brings up bad things, but I've had a set of Bose 301's since 1988 and 501's since 89 and I'm completely happy with them. I use them as the front channels on my surround system. The center channel is a BIC and the rear are a set of Infinity bookshelf speakers. It's not 'audiophile' but it makes the floor wiggle when I want it to. :smug:

15. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Ahhh good points. Personally, my ears prefer the full enveloping sound of a 7.1 system. Now that I've gotten used to it, I can't stand listening to anything without rear channels. I don't even notice the sound coming from behind, but when it gets taken away... whoah, big difference.

16. You and I are in agreement, Golden Boy.

I have a pair of Bose 501 V speakers for 10 years now and still love them. At the time I bought them I auditioned about 20 other pair of speakers from different manufacturers, and the Bose seemed the most balanced sounding overall to my ears. There was a pair of JBLs that I liked which were crisper sounding on the highs, but I kept coming back to the Bose. They have what Bose calls, "Twiddlers," (tweeter and midrange drivers in one unit) and woofers which are only 5 1/4 inch in diameter, but they have a thunderous boom to them; I guess it's Bose's cabinet design. They go pretty loud, though not deafening (who wants that anyway?) and have a very clean sound especially when listening to female vocals and/or acoustic music.

I haven't been checking out any speakers lately and wonder if there have been any big improvements in the last 10 years.

I have to agree with Wil Davis and nonsqtr about Klipsch speakers; the few that I heard sounded great.

I'm content with my system. :cool:

Mike

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have been enjoying DCM Time Windows for many, many years. This pair dates to about 1974 or '5. They are basically 'flat'. They only reproduce what is recorded, have terrific imaging, do not color the sound, and are great for taking songs apart.

If you want more bass than the recording has, you have to dial it in with DCM speakers. But they can deliver a good sound from a measly 15 watts to 500 or more.

I still dig 'em.

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I love my Clements 600si floor-standing speakers...when I bought them, I compared them to all the usual suspects about 10 years ago. They had a much more 3d stereo quality than anything else I've heard, other than the super high end $100K systems. Unfortunately the room they're in right now is a bit small, so they're not being used to their full potential.

http://www.clements-prc.com/

Marshall

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I like the big black Pioneer speakers that came with my stereo system that I got when I graduated from high school in 1989. The Pioneers replaced the Fishers I bought with my first paper route check.

-Mike