Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your favorite string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassMann2112, Jul 16, 2002.

1. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    I was wondering what people are using on their basses. What do you use? Why?
    I'm looking for a new string to use on my Spector for slap and pop Rock/Metal style.
    Cheers

2. D'Dario XLs here.. Have not tasted too many brands but those are the ones that have pleased me the most.

3. I would suggest Ken Smith Burners. They are satinless steel, long lasting and inexpensive. They also don't feel like stainless steel; they feel a little more smooth like nickle. DR High Beams are also very good for what you're doing.

4. [​IMG]

Reasons why?

Besides the usual "Lasts longer."

I like the "not so sizzling" tone.

Fanastic playability.

Slippery Slides.

Saves my fingers and my frets.

Been using them since '97, everytime I play SS or NPS roundwounds they feel like a rat-tail file tearing at my fingers and grinding up the frets.

5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    hmmm? my favorite string.... my favorite string would have to be the A string... no matter what song im playing i just always seem to end up there....call me crazy but i love the A string.;) :D :p

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    And I like the G-string off of a stripper!! Derr...no I like Labella SuperSteps .45-.105.

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
  8. Interestingly enough, I'm the same way - I find I spend most of my time on the A string. I also find on many basses it's the string whose sound I most prefer, and for godknowswhareason, I find A strings usually last the longest! Weird!

As for string brands, I'm still figuring out what I like! I was using Dean Markley SR2000s on my old Peavey since they gave it some much needed high end, but those don't work on my new Rick, so I've tried a few stainless steel roundwounds (I'm not a Roto man...) TI PowerBass strings are next. I'll post some sounds of them on the Rick when they get here.

--jeff

9. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    DR strings are the best that I have tried.
    yet to try Thomastics though.

DR Lowriders for the Rock/pop/funk

but for the real funk/r&b/country/jazz fusion
    try the DR "fat beams'

Marcus Miller had his hand in desinging those. they really get the fundamental out and have a great zing when snapped.
    Very good for not bright UNTIL you slap them.
    did i mentio that these strings also have lower tension than most?

10. DR nickel plated lo-riders. i'm fed up with the feel of stainless steel strings.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My favourite string is Rotosound Swing 66's. I like stainless steel strings. I've got a set or Warwick Red Labels on one of my Spector's just now, but soon all 3 Spectors will sport Rotosound strings!

12. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    TI Powerbass. very full and even sound. last a real long time.

13. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    stainless DR lo-riders. the nickel lo-riders seemed way too dull after a week. i require lots of bright and lots of tension on the strings, and these deliver.

14. Fodera Diamonds. They annihilate your fingertips, they're stiff as hell, and they're unbelievably bright. They're like stainless Lo-Riders on crack.

15. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I've been using the Dean Markley Blue Steel's for a while and have been satisfied but am interested in trying the DR lo-rider stainless.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I really like Elixir's (and I like the fact that they make a 6 set that's long enough for a 35" scale) but I also like D'Addario XL's and DR Lowrider Nickels. The main knock on the XL's for me is that they don't make an extra long sixer set but it's easy to get the extra long fiver and then order an extra .28 for the top C, just somewhat of a hassle. If I could only play one set, however, I'd go with the Elixir Nanowebs. Fantastic strings.

17. in my opinion, strings is strings. As long as they are round or 1/2 wound and the gages are .045-.130. I like them after about a week or two...new strings are too bright.

Oh, and I like the B string.