1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

your favorite strings for a sadowsky RV4?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by J.Wolf, Apr 28, 2010.

1. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I just picked up one of these guys a few weeks ago, and have been loving it, but haven't found a string that seems to be a perfect match.

So far I've tried:

Sadowsky flats: great string, a bit more flexible than the fender, but I'm not totally sold on flats for this bass yet (well, its more that I like to be able to get a roundwound tone out of the bass as well as the flat thump, rolling off the VTC gets me 90% of the way to flatsville)

Fender medium flats- fundamental sound great, but they feel like powerlines. too stiff for me, and oddly, the gauges make it so that the G and D are MUCH heavier and tighter feeling than the A and E.

DR fatbeams: a good overall string, nice feel and tension, but their inherent dips and peaks seem to be less than an ideal matchup for the sadowsky own dips and peaks. Just IMO, but not the ideal round for this bass, but not terrible by any means.

Thomastik jazz rounds- the bass came with these, and I really liked em. Nice and flexible feeling with a pliant bouncy midrange and smooth tone overall.. compliments the warm mids of an alder rosewood bass nicely

Thats what I've tried on the bass so far, I'm kinda tempted to try out my old standby, D'addario XL's (just because I know them so well, and they always give me a solid reference point), but I would love to hear if anyone feels they have found the holy grail string for their RV4?

thanks!

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My favorites for 4 string sadowsky are DR hi-beams hands down. I've tried everything. Sadowsky Blue Steels are good too. I can't ever get into nickels on a sadowsky but that's just me.

3. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    Shirley, MA
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY / GENZLER / KEELEY ELECTRONICS / TEMPLEBOARDS / KIRLIN CABLE
    I dont own an RV4 but have 2 NYC Sadowsky Standards Ash/Maple and love the Sadowsky Blue Label Steels.

Looking at the strings you tried I dont think this is the tone you are after. However, they are a good match with my basses!

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    thats interesting, I'll try a set of high beams, and maybe a set of blue labels. I forgot, I also tried a set of sunbeams on this bass, which I generally really like, and it didn't match well for me at all.

5. +1 Hi-Beams for the win. I've tried D'Addario ProSteels/Chromes/nickel XL's, Dunlop nickel plated steel, GHS Boomers, DR Lo-Riders and Dean Markley Blue Steels and the Hi-Beams win hands down...and even get better sounding after about a month or more.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    DR Sunbeams.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  8. when i had my rv-4 i was using dr lo-riders.....and they kick :)

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I believe those are the strings Kevin Drexler from Sadowsky recommended to me once. :cool:

10. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I used to alternate between TI Jazz Flats and Sadowsky Blue Label SS rounds when I had my RV4