Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your favorite strng spacing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ThePaste, May 20, 2001.

1. Well, it might not be your favorite, but what string spacings do you guys use (I am mainly looking for 5 string). And what bridges do you use to get them? I slap, pop, and pluck. I don't play pick to much.

PS Should this go into Basses anyway? Oh well now it's up to the mods.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I like 11/16th. Easily adjusted from 11/16 to full 3/4 and anywhere in between if you get a Schaller.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Far and away, 19mm center to center, on pretty much every kind of bass and number of strings.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Full 3/4th (19mm). Though, I like my Roscoes spacing, its about 18-18.5mm I think. I wish my 17mm Modulus was a little wider spaced, even by 1mm.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've got a custom bass spec'd with an ABM bridge. Those allow for adjustment, too, but you have to be mindful of your pickup apertures.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Only on pickups with pole pieces. Bar magnet pickups like SD Basslines and EMG work with any spacing at or under the width of the pickup.

7. Im not sure what is on my bass, but I just bought a new peavey cirrus and the spacing on that awesome I love it. But other than that I would probably say 19 mm unless you have big fingers or something and like wider spacing. Its all up to you man. Play on some then its the only way you will know for sure.

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    my Warwick SSI 5 is gonna have 20mm (or 21) o_O. I hope i like it

9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

The neck of my Carvin BB75 is 3" wide at 24th fret, giving it a wide string spacing (19 mm. center to center at the bridge) that is perfect to me. A narrow SS makes the popping of the D string awkward. The bridge is a Hipshot. :)

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Angus - Still, one should be careful as a rule of thumb. Some models, including some Bartos, use a pair in a box tilted at an angle and many bar magnets are elliptical instead of squared at the ends. If someone tweaks the bridge so that some strings are over the ends of a pair in a box, or the rounded ends of a bar magnet/coil, there can easily be a marked volume drop-off on some strings.

11. I like 11/16". Gotoh bridges come in optional spacings.

12. I'll second 11/16" but I like Hipshot style B aluminum.

13. I like the 3/4" spacing. I had a G&L L2500 and a Carvin LB75 and the both had 11/16" spacing which I found akward when I slapped. 11/16" would probably be just fine if I didn't do any slapping.

14. Good, is the Schaller 3d series 2000 adjustable?

15. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Does anyone know what the string spacing on spectors are? To me, they feel a bit tight on occasion... And how big is 11/16 in millimeters?

16. I just measured my Yamaha BB1600 and it's a full 20mm. I'm surprised because I always thought of it having 3/4 inch. Maybe I measured wrong. Should I look at the center of each string right at the bridge?

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I like 3/4", even (especially) on my 7.

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    hujo, 11/16" is 17.5mm

My preference would be 18mm. Why? Obvioulsy because it is in between the amercan standard 3/4"=19mm and the japaneese 11/16"=17.5mm, and I am european;)
    Seriously, 18mm (.71") is roomy enough to slap&pop and tight enough to let me reach even a six stringer, dispite my pretty small hands.

19. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The bridge spacing on Carvin 6's is 15.5mm which is WONDERFUL for a 6. (I do NOT slap much.) Ibanez 6's also share this spacing; almost everyone else seems to be wider.

The narrow spacing (Carvin and Ibanez 6's are also both 2" wide necks at the nut) means I can finger the lower strings without exertion and pluck the higher strings without too much wrist cocking (I always anchor my thumb on a pickup).

My Conklin GrooveTools 7's have 16.5mm bridge spacing; it does take a little more work to get to the far strings. The nut width is 2-1/2", and lemme tell ya, that was quite a change from the 2" Carvin. On the Carvins, I could still finger the low B with my left-hand knuckles beside the neck and only my fingers bent over the fingerboard. But now on the Conks, even with larger-than-average hands, I have to lift my hand so my knuckles come "around the corner" over the high F string to allow me to reach the low B.

Maybe if I slapped I'd feel different, but the narrower spacing to me translates directly to speed and ease of playing.