Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your favourite db bassline[s] of all time

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Chops, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Chops

Chops

Dec 12, 2004
    What d'ya reckon?? The ones you just can't remove from your brain.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    ?????
    It ain't like that, this ain't Britney Spears.
    This is kind of like asking, which sentence of Shakespeare's is your favorite...

3. Chops

Chops

Dec 12, 2004
    I didn't think it was Britney Spears :confused:. I'm asking, on the subject of db basslines, which would pop into your head first, or which have never really left it. I'm sure on Shakespeare forums people have asked what others favourite sentences are. I think its valid. I'm sure no one has said "This ain't like that, this ain't Dr Seuss".

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    The one I played this morning

:D

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Okay, I'll play...these are all from the late 60's/early 70's, when the term "basslines" was still a part of my consciousness. Now, I'm more concerned with "baselines", i.e., the lowest amount of $$ I'll consider leaving home for. :smug:

I wouldn't call these favorites per se, but I could play them all from memory, which means they're pretty well stuck in the gummy parts of my brain. You can find clips of them all with Google.

Lonnie Liston Smith's "Expansions"...nice bass line on the opening track from Cecil McBee. Unfortunately, after the first minute or so, the album sinks into smooth jazz land. Somewhere in northern Wisconsin, in my Dad's record cabinet, there's a copy of this album with about 1/4" of the vinyl really worn, the rest of it is cherry condition :rolleyes:

MJQ's "Walkin Stomp", from the album "Plastic Dreams"...Percy Heath on bass, of course. Fat and Phat.

Miles' "Great Expectations", from "Big Fun" (also released on "The Complete Bitches' Brew" CD). Dave Holland, if I remember correctly. Just a repeating figure for about twenty minutes, but very evil. I like to play this one at soundchecks sometimes, and check out who remembers it.

6. Remember that bass figure Horace wrote for 'Senior Blues'? Back in the "old days before we used amps, I would cripple both hands with that thing. :bawl:

7. By your standard, none.
    Two that I like are the lines written by the composers (a pianist, a trumpeter) for Waltz For Debby and Sail Away.
    Interesting lines are usually limited to a phrase, and are countless.
    Paul Warburton does a nice thing in bar 3 or 4 of My One and Only Love.

8. Thanks, my Dear.......

9. TomSauter

TomSauter

Dec 22, 2004
    Kennesaw, GA
    I like the bassline from "Gazelle" on Joe Henderson's In Pursuit of Blackness--Ron McLure is on bass. Stanley Clarke's line on the A minor part of "Sometime Ago" on Return to Forever gets stuck in my head alot too.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Oh yeah, Stanley... the bass figure from "Sea Journey" is beautiful. And maybe it's not a "bass line", but his stuff on "Captain Marvel" is pretty well stuck in my head as well. And then there's "Bass Folk Song"! Whatta great DB player he is.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are written, repeating DB lines (riffs?) that get stuck in your consciousness - I usually get given at least one every year in Jazz Summer School, that are really hard to play but sound great - here's a few of my favs :

Mopti - by Don Cherry
    Binky's Beam by John McLaughlin off Extrapolation
    On the Road to Ephesus by Joe Lovano

12. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Les Claypool's line in Mr. Krinkle.

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That's pretty cool, just googled it. Love that Billy Bob vocal thing he does over the top. He sure does paddle his own canoe.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - there are 3 versions of it on the CD of "6 pieces of Silver" - what frightens me is how it says in the liner notes that Doug Watkins is 22 and Louis Hayes is only 18!!

15. The laugh used to be how many places Hayes played where he wasn't old enough to be a customer.

16. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    I caught Stanley on the tube a few months back -- a recent live concert. Hadn't really thought about him in ages (RTF was a major factor for me back in the 70's) and was delighted to see him on DB, by himself it seemed.

He whipped that DB as if it had no physical significance whatsoever, like it wasn't there. He strummed 4-note chords like he was playing rhythm guitar for The Doobie Brothers. Un-freaking-believable strength and stamina on the DB.

And all the while sounding unmistakeably just like Stanley...

17. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    No doubt. He's certainly different. He's awesome live as well, and equally odd. :)

18. I didn't know Mr. Claypool played the DB.

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Here are some that get stuck in my head every time I listen to them, and sometimes just intrude into my brain uninvited.

El Carretero: Salvador Repilado Labrada
    Haitian Fight Song: CHARLES MINGUS
    I just want to make love to you: Willie Dixon

20. You must understand that "play" can be a very broad concept.

And as far as memorable lines go, Paul Chamber's little opening on So What tends to stick with me.