Your favourite EL cheapo!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Mar 12, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    if you ever need a new cheap bass which one would you buy?

maximum price tag $250

i could consider:
    Eko Musicman knockoff
    Yamaha Attitude
  2. Squier Affinity P-Bass MIC w/ Solid Alder Body (Currently on sale $139 [I think] at Guitar Center)
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    No doubt about it: The Epiphone Accu-Bass.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have 2 ESSEX Jazz basses & they're really nice. one was $139.99 & the other was $109.99. They upgrade very nicley.
  5. Ya cant go wrong with a Squier or Yamaha.
  6. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    Since I didn't have any 4 stringers at the time, I bought my DeArmond Pilot for $99 for teaching. I could do a gig on it if all of my regular basses were unavailable for the gig. The output is wimpy and the frets buzz all over the place if you dig in, but with a light touch, it's not a big problem
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Barracuda makes some not-too-bad cheapos...

I got one for $210, wanting a cheapie that I could carry around and not care if it got abused or stolen... it's performed surprisingly decently. With a pickup and electronics upgrade it'd probably sound quite decent!
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My fav cheapo's are the Dan reissue type basses:
    Longhorn, Hodad, DC.
    vibe, tone, kitsch...they have it all!
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i second the essex j-bass. that natural finish vintage one is SWEET. and with some good pickups and a good setup/fret leveling it has all the ingreedients to be a smokin bass.

11. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    danelectro hodad bass! (little more that $250 but that's ok, it's still pretty cheap)
  12. Mutilation

Mutilation Member

Jan 10, 2002
    yea...yamaha for sure......right now i gotta rbx 270 that ive been playing for the past year(its the bass i started on)... so now im gonna be getting a new bass this summer.. but ya know..hehe i like it..
    I only had 1 problem with fret buzz on the 1-7 fret on the G string and 1-3 on the D string.. but my uncle runs a guitarshop down here so he adjusted the truss rod and haven't had a problem since then..
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    my main bass now is an el cheapo. DeArmond Pilot Plus 5 that i got on Blow Out for $160 but spent $60-80 for a setup w/strings. After it was setup the thing played great. before-action felt ok but the neck still needed adjustment. all my basses are under $400 though :D
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I got my MIM Fender P for about 200 bucks.
  15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I wasn't sure at first if I could do a five string. The first five I bought was a Fernandes jazz bass copy. $200. I thought it was a very nice bass for the money.

It is the bass that was the subjectof my fretless conversion site.

Can't go wrong with a Fernandes for the money.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Dano Hodad or Dano Longhorn.
  17. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    i second the Dano Longhorn