Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Your favourite songs/tracks for bass practice!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wanderer, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer

Jan 13, 2004
    Hi Everyone,

To introduce myself: My name's Paddy, I'm 24 and a dedicated four string player. I've been playing since I was sixteen and have plenty of gigging and recording experience. Looking forward to getting to know everyone on the forum - great to find a bass haven like this :D

To keep in shape I love Jamming to my CD collection and I'd love to know what kind of stuff other people like to jam to!

A couple of my favourite albums:

Anything by Red Hot Chili Peppers (obviously :D)
    Megadeth - Countdown to extinction
    Lagwagon - Hoss
    Tower of Power - Live recordings
    Anything by Jamiroqoui
    Anything by Metallica
    Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine
    Sublime - Sublime
    Bad Religion - Stranger than Fiction

So what about you guys? What are your favourites?
    Any "must have" recommendations?
    :bassist:

:cool:

2. round of applause for RATM and sublime. i play to RATM all the time! except i play with all their studio recorded CDs (as opposed to live) and i have some mix cds with sublime on them. anyways, i practice along to clapton, cream, led zepplin, RATM, audioslave and jimi hendrix. i used to play along with deep purple and jaco, but i can play all the dp songs, and i stopped playing along to jaco because although i admire jaco, i found hs music doesn't inspire me as much as jack bruce or tim commerford. yeah, this is a little backwards, but we all have our own musical tastes too.
    Charlie

3. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    anything by megadeth and old metallica, and primus

4. i play to Catch 22- Keasby nights, and any rush, and thats about it.

5. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    level 42's instrumentals are great for slapping along to.. and jaco songs like the chicken, havona, birdland are great for fingerstyle. Some rush too but I've played all their songs inside out!! I've got to get back on my practice routine though! been doing too much jamming lately.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Whatever sheet music I have laying around.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like to practice river people

8. Wanderer

Wanderer

Jan 13, 2004
    Cool - Some nice new tracks and artists to watch out for!

<scurries off to find the tunes>

:bassist:

9. bassplyr8145

bassplyr8145

Jan 14, 2004
    "Yes" is great band to practice to, anyone who can play the full song "Close to The Edge" is a damn good bassist, puts rush and zeppelin to shame.

10. I have played bass for 16 years now, and Back in high school I loved pretty much anything that was fast and heavy... I played bass in a slayer and metallica tribute band. But then I discovered the RHCP's and that is when I started to bloom as a bass player. Now I will practice to anything that I like. Although for me a great warm-up is to play along to a couple of Paul Simon songs like "Graceland", "Just Call me Al" or "African Skies". My main bass is a 5-string fretlss now, and The Bassist on that Paul Simon album makes great use of a fretlss bass.
    But the new band I asm making with a co-worker of mine is gonna be going more back to where I started... Rage against the machine, RHCP's, Tool, I mother earth... Stuff like that. So basically I'm across the board. I just love music, so absolutely anything goes for me.

11. I'd have to say the Silence album by Blindside. Pitiful is a great song to jam to.