1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Your favourites bassists that are your main influence

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by RumbleMan3, Jun 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    My main bass inspiritations that have an influence on my playing and that inspire me to play bass in a more rhythmic, creative way but to still always keep a top groove are:

Paul McCartney.
    Flea.
    John Taylor.

Now I want to hear from you. Who are your favourite bassists and why? If u want give an example of ur favourite bass lines!

2. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Number one by far is Gary Thain of Uriah Heep. The melody he brought to bass is incomparable. I still to this day get chill bumps when I hear Sweet Freedom. The way he reaches and finds every tasteful note is just perfect.

Secondly, Mister Tommy Shannon. Why? Well, he is Tommy Shannon.... The man has some voodoo magic holding a groove. And the groove is what us bottom feeders have to provide.

Spidey2112, Bass V, andawun and 2 others like this.
  3. Geddy Lee
    James Jamerson

Spidey2112 and RumbleMan3 like this.
  4. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    @Aberdumbie @Matthew_84 thanks for your input so far! i like geddy and jamerson a little. @Aberdumbie never heard these bassists before but thanks i will look into them some more!

keep the lists coming talkbassers!! :bassist:

5. I learned bass from listening to guys guys like Lloyd Brevett, Donald Dunn, and later on James Jamerson. Still not as good as any of them, but they were great teachers.

Matthew_84 and RumbleMan3 like this.
  6. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Could post any of a hundred tunes going back to Johnny Winter. Tommy Shannon is not a thousand note flash. But good lord the mans groove is just voodoo. Nobody is better.

The selection is a bit long. Gary is superb throughout, but just crushes the last third of the tune.

7. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

Paul Denman - Sade

8. Leland Sklar = my ultimate role model for always playing for the song.

4StringTheorist and JMacBass65 like this.
  9. danesdad

danesdad

Feb 24, 2018
    Western PA
    Geezer.

Bass V, deernaes and zachoff like this.
  10. David Wm Sims because his percussive style makes me want to hit things and love things all at the same time. Karl Alvarez because no matter what I do I will never get my fingers to play as fast as him. Rob Wright because his tone is the absolute best... Even David Wm Sims longs for this tone. Just sayin'. :)

AaronVonRock and RumbleMan3 like this.
  11. Hundreds of bass players....when i look back...but recently nathan east...b vega...m miller..r glover...glenn huges....i can go on and on....

12. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    AJ.

13. RumbleMan3

RumbleMan3

Apr 14, 2018
    Australia
    Thanks everyone for your input so far it’s nice to see everyone else’s inspirations and preferred styles of bass players.

Keep playin bass! :bassist:

14. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Duck Dunn.
    Favourite lines? I don't think I've ever heard him play something I didn't think was just right but this is a bass masterclass...

15. Some great players mentioned already, and I have tried to emulate more than a few of them. My main gig for the last ten years has been a heavy blues/rock thing, so I always go back to the band, and therefore the player, that sparked my interest in the first place, John Paul Jones.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Spidey2112, Aberdumbie and Ggeorges like this.
  16. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    thank god for Gary Thain and Uriah Heep, they really had a good thing going for a while. I thot Wetton took the band to another level, which Gary coulda done as well, but the wheels were coming off at the same time with Box's excesses and inconsistent performances. all told they were one of rock's great success tragedies of that era.
    other faves;
    Dennis Dunaway and Geezer, the two Masters of scary bass
    Felix and Jack
    Burke Shelley - Budgie
    Lee Dorman - Iron Butterfly / Captain Beyond
    Pat Daugherty - Black Oak Arkansas
    Kenny Aaronson - DUST / top hired gun
    James Dewar - Trower
    McCartney
    Krautrock bassists
    Dixon, Mingus, Brown, Carter all the jazz guys
    Manzarek's left hand
    those I'll remember later

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    SpyderX and Aberdumbie like this.
  17. toprekoms

toprekoms

Aug 22, 2010
    Barry Oakley, Carl Radle, John Paul Jones, Leland Sklar, Chris Squire.

18. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    This guy...

212fwh5.

19. Mel Schacher
    Jack Bruce
    Felix Pappalardi
    Chris Squire
    Berry Oakley
    Gary Thain
    JPJ
    Paul McCartney
    ...in no specific order. I’ve learned from all of them.

Wulfensteiner likes this.
  20. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    John McVie. Rock solid.

4StringTheorist and kreider204 like this.